Orioles interested in Dylan Carlson?

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Based on the MLBTR article sounds like he was discussed as a throw in to a Montgomery deal that was being discussed. I think the concern here is what is the real time table for Mullins to come back?

That’s part of it…could they be moving some younger assets, even a guy like Cowser, in a deal for starters while also bringing in this guy?

I mean, they just drafted what they hope is their CFer of the future but he’s probably not ready until 2025 And then you see.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s part of it…could they be moving some younger assets, even a guy like Cowser, in a deal for starters while also bringing in this guy?

I mean, they just drafted what they hope is their CFer of the future but he’s probably not ready until 2025 And then you see.

Yea, that is definitely a thought. Elias could just be nervous about Cowser not getting it going yet and wanting to have a back up plan if Mullins is out a while.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Yea, that is definitely a thought. Elias could just be nervous about Cowser not getting it going yet and wanting to have a back up plan if Mullins is out a while.

I don’t think Elias is nervous about Cowser’s ability.  He isn’t one to sour on a rookie in a limited number of at bats.  Would they trade him if they got the right return?  We will see.

From The Athletic:

Dylan Carlson, OF, Cardinals — No team in baseball has given up on talented outfielders before they hit their prime more than the Cardinals — from Adolis García to Randy Arozarena to Lane Thomas. Carlson, who comes with three more years of team control, could become their next mistake at this year’s deadline.

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

And it’s not like Mullins is a long term guy here because of Bradfield. So, adding Carlson could open a deal for Mullins in the offseason.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And it’s not like Mullins is a long term guy here because of Bradfield. So, adding Carlson could open a deal for Mullins in the offseason.

It's tough to pencil Bradford in before he's started playing games professionally.  Even without him I'd be worried about Mullins being a 31 year old UFA more than any concerns about prospects filling his spot.

Carlson is just entering arbitration in 2024.  He's young, but an average player in aggregate (.503 career WAA).  That can certainly contribute to a contender.

I don't know what they had in mind for him, but I like Cowser better for the rest of 2023 and Colton has 3 additional years of team control.