Kevin Brown

Srey

37 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Lot of MUTE TIME!!!!!!!

I’m hoping they’ll test out the new guy, Ben Wagner.  He’s sounded decent on the radio broadcasts the few times I’ve heard him.  Geoff Arnold is also serviceable.  

On 5/22/2024 at 10:06 AM, bobmc said:

As @SteveA once said (or was it @BikiniArmstrong), “When you’re beloved, you’re beloved!”  😅

I'm just repping you for an old school Hangout reference to BikkiniArmstrong! :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I believe Kevin is heading off to do the Women's College World Series for ESPN very soon, so we will be forced to live without him for a few weeks.   Probably won't have Ben for much of the next month either as he does college baseball.

These will be dark days ahead.. ;) 

I fear more Melanie Newman-Palmer pairings where she comes off a fan girl and he's comes off as a dirty old man. Fun times.

Hopefully Arnold will pick up most of the TV work with Palmer.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:56 PM, SteveA said:

Last night he mentioned that Cardinal pitcher JoJo Romero went to Yavapai College (which apparently is in Prescott, Arizona) and he said "...so JoJo is a man from Prescott Arizona"... a slight but not really correct riff on the Beatles tune "Get Back" ("JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner, but he knew it couldn't last.   JoJo left his home in Tucson Arizona, for some California grass").

I figured 90% of the audience didn't catch it, and of the 10% who did, 7% rolled their eyes, and 3% actually enjoyed it.

I was in the 7%.

Many of Brown's quippy/punny references go over my head because of my age. But I don't mind them, and sometimes the ones I do catch get me thinking of one-upping or responding to them. (If inn a home game one of JoJo's college teammates singled with a man on first and the runner advanced two bases, they were standin' on the corners in Prescott, Arizona.)

That stuff doesn't bother me because it ordinarily lasts only a few seconds and rarely interferes with the game or with something about baseball that Ben or Jim would have said. I'm not turned off by the fact that Brown's efforts to show the world how clever he is sometimes make him sound (as well as look) like an insecure teenager. What really bugs me about Brown is his tendency to go off on long tangents, sometimes alone or and sometimes with the color guy, about stuff unrelated to the game: ice cream, the food they're eating, Ben's experience at LSU, etc., etc., often having him demonstrate that he knows more about something than Ben or Jim. During that time the game, and reflections on what has happened or might happen next, don't seem to matter. I'm listening while I watch a televised game because I believe the announcers will enhance mu understanding of the game, the teams and the players. I'm not interested in the announcers' views on unrelated stuff. )

And for me Brown's teasing of McDonald about his lack of sophistication, or whatever quality it is that Brown likes to make fun of, got old a long time ago.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m hoping they’ll test out the new guy, Ben Wagner.  He’s sounded decent on the radio broadcasts the few times I’ve heard him.  Geoff Arnold is also serviceable.  

Wagner is doing the radio with Melewski tonight.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

These will be dark days ahead.. ;) 

I fear more Melanie Newman-Palmer pairings where she comes off a fan girl and he's comes off as a dirty old man. Fun times.

Hopefully Arnold will pick up most of the TV work with Palmer.

Arnold will be on MASN tonight with Ben McDonald, while Kevin Brown starts his 2-week ESPN assignment.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good.

Kevin Brown calls every inning of every game for the rest of the year or Austin Hays plays every inning of every game for the rest of the year. You have to choose one.