Kevin Brown

Srey

After Kimbrel's second strikeout last night:

"That's Kimbrel...with 2 K's."

I thought that one was pretty good.

And earlier on the night I heard Melanie on the radio.  On Gunnar's RBI single in the 2nd she said "and the cookie will crumble."  I swear she just makes up sayings half the time.

As for Kevin, while he can be irritating at times when he doesn't know when to tell a story that he had queued up or let the current drama on the field be the priority, he's an outstanding PBP guy overall. 

Like Roy said, he's very well prepared (including his prepared puns on player's names), and has gotten better at showing the right amount of emotion for the event happening on the field without going full Hunter (Screeching on a homer when the orioles are down 10-2 in the 8th).

While I also think Geoff Arnold is a solid television PBP guy as well, KB is the best we currently have. Now whether he was better than Gary Thorne? I guess that's a matter of taste. Thorne was irritating because he kept calling pitches wrong and refused to stop doing so, but he always showed the perfect amount of excitement for the event on the field, bar none. 

While I think all announcers annoy baseball fans at times, we are lucky to have one of the young ones that can bridge us old crusty 50+ somethings with a younger generation that the Orioles need too.

• Upvote 3

Maybe the only thing that KB does that annoys me (and this goes for every announcer ever) is starting a complex interview question with 2 outs, especially when it's clear the pitcher has just been mowing guys down so the AB is likely to be very short. It's amazing how many professional broadcasters do this. I don't necessarily think KB does it more than anyone else, but I always notice it because I feel like he's better than that. Sometimes you can almost hear him regret it mid-question as he realizes the number of outs haha. 

Edited by interloper

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As for Kevin, while he can be irritating at times when he doesn't know when to tell a story that he had queued up or let the current drama on the field be the priority, he's an outstanding PBP guy overall. 

Like Roy said, he's very well prepared (including his prepared puns on player's names), and has gotten better at showing the right amount of emotion for the event happening on the field without going full Hunter (Screeching on a homer when the orioles are down 10-2 in the 8th).

While I also think Geoff Arnold is a solid television PBP guy as well, KB is the best we currently have. Now whether he was better than Gary Thorne? I guess that's a matter of taste. Thorne was irritating because he kept calling pitches wrong and refused to stop doing so, but he always showed the perfect amount of excitement for the event on the field, bar none. 

While I think all announcers annoy baseball fans at times, we are lucky to have one of the young ones that can bridge us old crusty 50+ somethings with a younger generation that the Orioles need too.

I think we were lucky to have Gary, and we are lucky to have Kevin. Love them both for different reasons.  Gary was at his best when we were being blown out, thankfully we're not in that situation too often these days. 

• 3 weeks later...

One of the worst announcers in baseball according to many on here.

Calling the Home Run Derby for a National audience.

Make that make sense.

As someone who grew up in MI listening to Ernie Harwell and George Kell, and Vin Scully here in LA. All very good...Kevin Brown is also  very very good.

Just so many haters on this website. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

One of the worst announcers in baseball according to many on here.

Calling the Home Run Derby for a National audience.

Make that make sense.

As someone who grew up in MI listening to Ernie Harwell and George Kell, and Vin Scully here in LA. All very good...Kevin Brown is also  very very good.

Just so many haters on this website. 

One thing that can be said about his calling of the Home Run Derby - it was better than the rendition of the National Anthem before the competition. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Yossarian said:

One thing that can be said about his calling of the Home Run Derby - it was better than the rendition of the National Anthem before the competition. 

The lowest of bars.

14 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I literally had to turn that off after “dawn’s early light.”   That was pitiful.  Why they even do the anthem during the home run derby is beyond me.  They don’t play it at the circus.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I literally had to turn that off after “dawn’s early light.”   That was pitiful.  Why they even do the anthem during the home run derby is beyond me.  They don’t play it at the circus.  

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but apparently that artist posted that she was drunk during the performance, and is now checking into rehab. 

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Not to be unpatriotic,  but I don't think we need to play the NA for every event.   The pool of talent that can perform it properly is small.  You start getting into these types of performances when you run out of performers. 

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but apparently that artist posted that she was drunk during the performance, and is now checking into rehab. 

One day too late

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.

By the way, the singer announced on instragram that she was drunk and has checked into rehab. FWIW. 

Just now, interloper said:

Agreed.

By the way, the singer announced on instragram that she was drunk and has checked into rehab. FWIW. 

Really?  I’m sorry to hear that, but at least it explains the performance.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Really?  I’m sorry to hear that, but at least it explains the performance.  

It explains a lot, yeah, considering she's a 4-time Grammy winner. 

Side note, if I'm a singer doing the anthem, I'm requiring someone in my in-ears playing reference notes on the key if I start to drift. That would have helped her a lot. Most people just go up there and let it rip and that's great, but on a national broadcast I'm not taking any chances.