Friday, August 4: Buck and the Mets come to town

SteveA

Just now, Hallas said:

The Mets just bought themselves a top-10 farm system.

It's kind of a tough spot since the Yankees are above .500, but they don't really have much shot beating out the teams in front of them to make the playoffs so for them to buy 2 relievers at the deadline when they already have a good bullpen is really bizarre.

Cohen will spend on a level that would make George Steinbrenner look modest, as well.

Just now, baltfan said:

Cashman hasn’t been very good. The teams he won with were developed by Gene Michael. He shouldn’t survive this year.  

He was okay in the 2000s but he also got lucky with injuries, especially since they were relying on older FAs.  If ARod got injured like Trout has those teams struggle a lot more.  I'm not sure if they're still doing okay if Posada doesn't OPS .880 through his mid-late 30s.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Any free agent who signs with the Mets would do themselves justice to demand a No-Trade Clause.

Also the rules committee should be having discussion about this turning into a potential problem on a broader scale.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Cohen will spend on a level that would make George Steinbrenner look modest, as well.

What matters is whether he's learned to spend intelligently--not easy to learn when it comes to baseball

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

It's kind of a tough spot since the Yankees are above .500, but they don't really have much shot beating out the teams in front of them to make the playoffs so for them to buy 2 relievers at the deadline when they already have a good bullpen is really bizarre.

I watched at least two different shows saying the Yankees should sell some of their bullpen arms because it was the best thing they had to sell.  Then the Yankees bought some arms.  I guess if your the Yankees you cant really ever sell if your within a couple games of the wildcard.  

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Any free agent who signs with the Mets would do themselves justice to demand a No-Trade Clause.

Also the rules committee should be having discussion about this turning into a potential problem on a broader scale.

They're paying luxury tax on the money they're forking over for those prospects.  I don't really see a problem.  Teams can decline to offer them prospects.

That said I feel like small market owners are going to try and shut this down.