Jorge in Center

banks703

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The stats are up now on Mateo’s two defensive plays from Tuesday.  The catch he made at the fence was rated a 90% catch probability.  The one he didn’t catch in the 9th inning was rated 95%.   

That seems about right. The 95% catch would be a one star catch which seems about right for that play, even with the wall in consideration (which catch percentage does not account for). He never needed to jump and the ball hit the underside of the mitt. It was a truly terrible play unfortunately in a key moment which is why he can't have inexperience at key positions late in close games.

Too bad he doesn't have enough jumps to provide the breakdown. I can guarantee his route feet per second is going to be really bad.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That seems about right. The 95% catch would be a one star catch which seems about right for that play, even with the wall in consideration (which catch percentage does not account for). He never needed to jump and the ball hit the underside of the mitt. It was a truly terrible play unfortunately in a key moment which is why he can't have inexperience at key positions late in close games.

Too bad he doesn't have enough jumps to provide the breakdown. I can guarantee his route feet per second is going to be really bad.

His route score will probably be very bad. I would guess his ft/second will be at least avg though. That takes his speed into account, basically a reverse santander 

13 minutes ago, seak05 said:

His route score will probably be very bad. I would guess his ft/second will be at least avg though. That takes his speed into account, basically a reverse santander 

Hopefully all this will be a moot point soon, if we can get a healthy Mullins and Hicks back...   Mateo's backup outfielding can be moved to the emergencies only department.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, banks703 said:

There’s maybe five players in the league that can make that play as easily as Jorge.

Gunnar can make that play though, just not as easily and as fluid as Jorge made it. 

I only saw the highlight, but it was a stunning play. Was Brach the color commentator last night? I sure didn't like his reaction that said it was a "Jeter jump" throw. 

24 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I only saw the highlight, but it was a stunning play. Was Brach the color commentator last night? I sure didn't like his reaction that said it was a "Jeter jump" throw. 

Yeah I was annoyed by that reference too, esp. b/c its normal use covers over the fact that he was not a great SS. Mateo's throw was levels above what Derek wd have tossed in the same situation.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

Urías at third and Frazier at second two nights ago vs. Houston, Mateo in the SS hole tonight--phenomenal!

Moreover what is all the more impressive is that none of those three are mainstays in the lineup everyday--this team has deep depth.

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yeah I was annoyed by that reference too, esp. b/c its normal use covers over the fact that he was not a great SS. Mateo's throw was levels above what Derek wd have tossed in the same situation.

Jeter's throw would have bounced a few times

24 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Brach was the analyst, yeah.

Whether we like it or not, that type of play in the hole was (and still is) a Jeter thing. For as much as I hate the Yankees, I never had the individual hatred for Jeter. Was he as good defensively as he was credited? No way, Jose. His .310/.377/.440 for an .817 OPS was pretty damned good for that era of baseball though. I hated seeing his success but didn’t outright hate him.

So, yeah, don’t use Jeter references when calling games for the O’s, Brad. Stick to cucking John Angelos. 

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Moreover what is all the more impressive is that none of those three are mainstays in the lineup everyday--this team has deep depth.

Frazier has been in the lineup most days. I’d have to look again but I feel like when I last looked he was basically playing 8/9 of the games. 

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

Frazier has been in the lineup most days. I’d have to look again but I feel like when I last looked he was basically playing 8/9 of the games. 

Compare to Henderson (99 starts / 116 team games), Hays (99 despite injury), Rutschmann (108), and Santander (111):

Frazier: 86 / 116

Mateo: 79 / 116

Urías: 74 / 116

Westburg: 27 / 40 (number of team games since first appearance).

So let's call It a rotation--definitely more than bench players, but significantly less than everyday starters. But the multiple positions played by Urías, Westburg, Frazier, and to a certain extent by Mateo make their defensive play all the more impressive.

Elias is clearly proud of this versatility and depth.

Edited by LA2

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Elias is clearly proud of this versatility and depth.

This is one of the things that I’ve harped on all year. They have guys who can be plugged into positions all over the field. In desperation they could even run Mountcastle in the outfield. It’s one of the most overlooked/unrealized contribution to their success this year. And they’ve been obnoxiously consistent. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Jump throws have been around for years.  Here's a nice play from the 70's from a guy named Brooks.

• Upvote 2