Jorge in Center

banks703

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

Using a roster spot for a pinch runner has been tried before.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/washihe01.shtml

92 games without a PA.  I'm not sure if that's impressive or not.  But it's definitely something!  His SB/CS ratio doesn't warrant that roster decision.  Thanks for sharing.

My mind goes to Billy Hamilton's first year (2013) with the Reds.  13 games, 22 PAs, 13 SBs, 1 CS.

They are trying to make him more useful while he’s on the team and give themselves options later on.

1.  This could be bad for McKenna down the road.  More likely he and Cowser go down when Mullins and Hicks come back.  

2: This could be a signal of even less time at SS for Jorge but expanding his role in other areas.   Bottom line.  Less overall AB’s.

3.  It looks like Jorge is going to survive.  I’m curious to see how he looks in CF and curious if they give Westburg or Urias some innings at SS.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

On a lower level team, Mateo would make a fine utility player.  But, Urias is superior in that role and I have no doubt Ortiz would be a far better starter.  

I’m an Elias believer, but I don’t understand this at all.

You would have to bench Urias and Frazier for Ortiz to start. That’s not going to happen in August with 2 player’s contributing to a 1st place team. 

I think people are reading too much into this. It’s easy to do this type of stuff when you are basically guaranteed a playoff spot. If the Orioles were where SEA,NYY and BOS are does this happen? 

The team is in great shape and on one of those runs where everyone seems to contribute. You buy an extra day off for other players. I doubt especially with Mullins back soon he is out there much. And if he is it’s because the Orioles are in great shape. 

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mateo’s OPS vs LHP is a respectable .768 in 2023.  .666 on his career.

As has been shown,  that's grossly inflated by how good he was previously this year.   Over the past 2 months he's been terrible against  LHP too.  No reason he should have a bat in his hands any time.   Giving him starts at any position against any pitcher is silly. 

Specifically he has a .615 OPS against LHP since May 1st.  That doesn't deserve starting against LHP, though it's better than the .411 against RHP during the same frame.  Either way he sucks with the bat and shouldn't be starting or even,  frankly,  on the roster.

• Upvote 1

Geez, Mateo.  Watch that hit he just made.  Yes, it was a triple, BUT Mateo was lazily trotting down to first, NOT running hard at all, and only started to run once the outfielder misplayed it, likely should have been caught.  It could have been a HR IF he'd been running hard out of the batters box.  Now luckily he was able to score on a grounder to 3rd, so we got the run, but he can't be just lollygagging it to first, not the way he's been playing lately.  

Just now, forphase1 said:

Geez, Mateo.  Watch that hit he just made.  Yes, it was a triple, BUT Mateo was lazily trotting down to first, NOT running hard at all, and only started to run once the outfielder misplayed it, likely should have been caught.  It could have been a HR IF he'd been running hard out of the batters box.  Now luckily he was able to score on a grounder to 3rd, so we got the run, but he can't be just lollygagging it to first, not the way he's been playing lately.  

He was just standing short of first with the bat in his hand until the ball dropped.  He just constantly makes mental blunders on the bases and in the field but won't be sat down for it because his ego is being treated with kid gloves for some reason.  It's incredibly frustrating to watch. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...yeah...um, how does Mateo's defense in center look?

He’s a little clunky out there but looks fine to me. He doesn’t have Ced’s smooth gait but he’s obviously able to run em down out there. 

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

He’s a little clunky out there but looks fine to me. He doesn’t have Ced’s smooth gait but he’s obviously able to run em down out there. 

Has he had a chance this game?

I didn't see the first 5 innings.

In the sixth he fielded a gb single and threw it in to second without incident.  But yeah, not as gracefully as he plays SS.