Game of the year?

Moose Milligan

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

He said after the final out "It was always Felix's night". Which I actually kinda thought was a perfect call. 

That's a great line! I missed it because MLB TV blacked out the game and I could only watch it on Fox Sports 1.

Thanks for posting this.

13 hours ago, now said:

Yes, and for morale, the timing was huge.

Humbled by the Astros at home, then dominated by M's and Castillo in game 1.

Mariners riding an 8-game W streak into the Wild Card mix.

Tampa winning and creeping up on O's division lead.

Irvin stepping up, Cano and Bautista holding up to nail it. Bodes well for the 6-man rotation.

Another series to add to the unswept streak.

It was a statement game to say, we're not going away.

Looking forward to see if this win at least keeps them on keel for rest of the road trip, or lifts them past this rocky patch.

This game and the three or four before it are perfect examples of why the run differential is so narrow. They win close games, but lose big when they do. In the end, they've done remarkably well in the win column, ie. best record in AL, which still blows me away with all of this in perspective. Starting with the Mets series to now, the run diff. is 35-34, with the losses with scores like 7-2, 9-2 and 7-6 (but were winning 5-0 at one point in that game).

Edited by NashLumber

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

You know, I read several remarks to that effect in the game thread, but it’s not like the Mariners were hitting the snot out of the ball.  It was a great pitchers’ duel and it was a matter of which team would find a way to eke our a run.  We did, and they didn’t.   We have Felix, and they don’t.  

You have to realize the mindset of a lot of people in the game thread.

If the opposing starter starts off well, there are tons of comments in the game thread about how we have no chance to hit this guy the way he's pitching tonight.   (They happened to be right last night, but very often they are not, such as McClanahan).   

Meanwhile, if our starter starts off well, no one says the other team has no chance to hit him.   Instead, the discussion will center on when do you think the wheels will fall off the cart for him.

If our starter starts off poorly and gives up a run or two in the first, he has nothing and we are going to have to score a ton to win, or we have no chance to win whatsoever.   The notion that our starter could right the ship and end up pitching 5 or 6 overall decent or good innings NEVER occurs to people.    Even though that exact thing has happened literally dozens of times this year.

Unless we have a reliever who has had a bunch of lights out appearances in a row, any reliever who comes in will be greeted by someone saying they don't really "trust" him.   If the reliever walks a guy, then he is clearly pathetic and choking.   

If a reliever puts a runner in scoring position in a tie game, there will be people that declare it a certainty that the big hit is coming.   And on the occasions when it actually does, they'll say it was obvious that [reliever] was going to blow it there.   If it doesn't, they don't say much.

You will often hear definitive statements like "this loss is on XXX" (Hyde, a reliever, etc) even if the game is not over, and SOMETIMES even when the game is still tied!   I'm not making this up!  There have been multiple times in the game thread where someone has talked about whose fault "this loss" is when the Orioles aren't even losing!!!

If we lose the first game of a 3 game series, there will be multiple people saying with certainty that we are going to be swept.   I don't know what makes them think that, but it's always happens in the game threads, despite the historic lack of sweeps we have had int he past 15 months.

If we don't score early it will be brought up how much we struggle to score early.   If we do score early, but don't add any runs in the next 2 or 3 innings, it will be brought up how we have a problem where we get some runs and then stop hitting.   If we are in a close game with a losing team, it will be mentioned how we play down to bad opponents (even though we are 27-10 vs teams with losing records).   If we give up a run after an inning when we scored, you will be told how that always happens (even if it is the first time it has happened in 3 or 4 games).

Except in the rare games where we are totally blowing someone out, any time we have any kind of lead, we will be told multiple times that the number of runs we have is "not enough" and we MUST score more.   If we don't the bullpen will surely blow it.

Most of the people in the game thread spend the entire game in constant fear and anticipation of losing, rather than enjoying two MLB teams competing for a win, which the Orioles wind up getting over 60% of the time.

Edited by SteveA
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll reserve game of year (reg season) for the night we clinch 1st place on tbe AL East. 💪. That said, what a gutsy performance in a must-win game.  Irvin starting to contribute a little is very nice.  Can’t keep these guys down long and that’s the hallmark of a great team.    

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dude made the mistake of sliding in feet first.  I don't know why anyone would do that on a stolen base attempt for that very reason...harder to control staying on the bag when you slide in like that and pop up, you run the risk of coming off the bag.  Easier to stay attached to the bag when you go in headfirst.

Especially when the combination of bigger bases and oven mitts that extend about 6 inches beyond the end of your actual hand shorten the distance between bases.

If you are going to slide feet first maybe they should wear 2 foot long clown shoes so the toe of the show can get tot he base faster.

• Haha 1