Santander's back injury appears chronic

Baltimorecuse

Just now, Baltimorecuse said:

He said it has bothered him all season.  It doesn't feel better.

Will try to play Tuesday.  

I don't get why they aren't quicker on putting guys on the IL.  It seems like when you try and let them play through it the performance suffers and most of the time they eventually end up on the IL anyway.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get why they aren't quicker on putting guys on the IL.  It seems like when you try and let them play through it the performance suffers and most of the time they eventually end up on the IL anyway.

And this Cowser kid is raking in AAA and ready to come up.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure what Cowser has to do with anything?

If a reasonable replacement player is available then putting Santander on the IL becomes more practical. Cowser and Stowers are both viable RF and are on the 40 Man Roster. If Santander is hurting to the extent that his offense will suffer then either of them should be brought up in his stead while he heals. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If a reasonable replacement player is available then putting Santander on the IL becomes more practical. Cowser and Stowers are both viable RF and are on the 40 Man Roster. If Santander is hurting to the extent that his offense will suffer then either of them should be brought up in his stead while he heals. 

If he's injured he needs to get healthy.

Fighting through chronic back pain isn't productive.

Not as if he's been playing well recently.

Just don't see the point of taking a shot at Cowser there.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If he's injured he needs to get healthy.

Fighting through chronic back pain isn't productive.

Not as if he's been playing well recently.

Just don't see the point of taking a shot at Cowser there.

It wasn't a shot at Cowser, he actually has been raking since getting demoted. Just being sarcastic about those who have already given up on him. I agree with what ShoelessJoe already said. We have guys in AAA capable of filling in while Santander gets healthy, it doesn't make sense to play a man down for several games, especially when he's not doing much now anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I'm looking forward to seeing more of O'Hearn in the outfield.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Brian88 said:

It wasn't a shot at Cowser, he actually has been raking since getting demoted. Just being sarcastic about those who have already given up on him. I agree with what ShoelessJoe already said. We have guys in AAA capable of filling in while Santander gets healthy, it doesn't make sense to play a man down for several games, especially when he's not doing much now anyway.

Who is it who has given up on Cowser?

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Heston Kjerstad should be called up then if Santander going to be put on the IL. I want Cowser to stay a little longer at Norfolk to establish consistency

Cowser has hit .350/.480/.800 in the week since being sent down.  That’s consistent enough for me.  Kjerstad is actually in a bit of a slump, .606 OPS for August.  If Santander goes on the IL (which I doubt), I’d expect Cowser to be recalled.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing more of O'Hearn in the outfield.

This--Mountcastle has more than earned back full-time duties at 1st base and O'Hearn has so far done well against LHP (1.128 OPS in 20 PAs). Until Hicks returns, we have McKenna and Frazier as reserve outfielders and Mateo for short-term emergencies. The Q becomes who DH's vs. RHP, assuming Adley can against LHP with McCann catching--maybe whichever infielder, e.g. Urias or Frazier, is not starting in the field.

There was no rush, in my opinion, to IL Santandar during the Oakland series. Playing a person short during the Jay's series will be something else. Not defendable in my opinion. Let's see what today into tomorrow brings. They can back-date the IL to the 18th I think if necessary.

I imagine he could pinch hit if necessary.....definitely makes the bench stronger from that perspective while he gets some time to rest the back from the daily grind in the outfield.

And, honestly, who would you rather see as a pinch hitter in a key situation right now, Santander with some back soreness or a healthy Cowser?

Edited by Sanity Check

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cowser has hit .350/.480/.800 in the week since being sent down.  That’s consistent enough for me.  Kjerstad is actually in a bit of a slump, .606 OPS for August.  If Santander goes on the IL (which I doubt), I’d expect Cowser to be recalled.

Sounds like a good week, would another week kill him? Do you think Stowers will ever wear an Orioles uni again?