John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

From the article:

Only last January, John Angelos told 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore that he thought the Orioles could return to the top half of the league in payroll. Their average Opening Day payroll rank from 2011 to ‘18 was 13th. They also were in the top half from 2005 to ’07. In 2000, they actually were fourth.

So, he talked about being in top half of the league in payroll 8 months ago. The team has been in the top half recently.

Now he cries poor me.

He is a shady, used car salesman not to believed or trusted.

12 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/08/22/peter-schmucks-not-short-take-john-angelos-playing-dangerous-game/

I am sorry if this already posted.

This article states that Adley and Gunnar will be in Yankee pinstripes in the future.

For the life of me I don't get the fascination with the idea that the Yankees will sign everyone.

Have folks not been paying attention?

Have the Yankees been signing everyone recently?

Did they somehow bring George back to life when I wasn't paying attention?

It's just lazy.

Obviously I'm talking about Schmuck here not ODH.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For the life of me I don't get the fascination with the idea that the Yankees will sign everyone.

It's just lazy.

Yeah the Yankees thing is weird to me.  If anything they'll be wearing the pinstripes of the Padres haha.

I don't put much stock into these comments from Angelos, I think it's mostly posturing.  I think everyone knows they won't sign all of these guys but they certainly can/should lock a few of them up.  Gunnar is the best bet from a production standpoint I think but we know the story with Boras.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's just lazy.

I think Peter uses “The Yankees” as a metaphor because that is what pisses off Oriole fans more than anything else.  The point is Gunnar may be with Atlanta, Grod with Miami, Adley with Seattle but they will more likely with someone else as they approach free agency as long as John Angelos controls the Orioles.   Saying “The Yankees” lands the punch easier.

26 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/08/22/peter-schmucks-not-short-take-john-angelos-playing-dangerous-game/

I am sorry if this already posted.

This article states that Adley and Gunnar will be in Yankee pinstripes in the future.

Maybe. Who knows. I remember when Buck said that Matt Wieters was going to be in pinstripes in a few years also.

Just now, accinfo said:

I think Peter uses “The Yankees” as a metaphor because that is what pisses off Oriole fans more than anything else.  The point is Gunnar may be with Atlanta, Grod with Miami, Adley with Seattle but they will more likely with someone else as they approach free agency as long as John Angelos controls the Orioles.   Saying “The Yankees” lands the punch easier.

Because he's lazy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

From the article:

Only last January, John Angelos told 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore that he thought the Orioles could return to the top half of the league in payroll. Their average Opening Day payroll rank from 2011 to ‘18 was 13th. They also were in the top half from 2005 to ’07. In 2000, they actually were fourth.

So, he talked about being in top half of the league in payroll 8 months ago. The team has been in the top half recently.

Now he cries poor me.

He is a shady, used car salesman not to believed or trusted.

I frankly find most used car salesmen to actually have better ethics and more credibility.

• Upvote 1

I mostly believe John Angelos when he says that he has not been, and doesn't plan to be, involved in player personnel decisions -- at least as long as those decisions don't come with big-dollar, long-term (over two-year) commitments. So far, that approach has served the team well. Pretty soon decisions will need to be made about retaining or trading or letting walk the first wave of core players. I hope John is out of the picture before then, but if not we'll see whether he interferes, and if so how.

I used to get upset with John (though not as much as I did with Peter, maybe because the current team is so much better and maybe just because I was younger then and had more energy to devote to resenting Peter's avarice, arrogance and stupidity).

No more. I don't believe anything John Angelos says, other than the above. I don't fret over his ignorance or the inconsistencies, over how much he bemoans the Orioles' situation or his lack of candor about the amount of money he's been stuffing into his pockets. It's not worth it. I'm sure some of the things he says are true, but I'm no longer bothering to work at separating the wheat from the chaff, the kernels of truth from the lies and distortions, and then getting frustrated when I learn I've been misled. Even when he tells the truth, John may change his mind in a minute or a day or the next year, without telling anyone. 

I'm sure John, having accomplished nothing in his life other than being born the son of a rich father, savors being in charge of a first-place ballclub and the novel, fulfilling feeling of having people pay attention to what he says and does. He's obviously (to me) trying to leverage that high profile, the unsigned lease extension and his relationship with the mayor into being some sort of savior of downtown Baltimore. It's annoying, disgusting even, but again -- I don't care. what he says.

John doesn't own the team, and there's way in hell MLB will ever approve of his ownership of the team. I view John as as an interim super-GM. He has great capacity to harm the team (as he did with the Kevin Brown fiasco he's trying to disown), but he hasn't done serious harm so far, and if he does there is there's no way for anone other than MLB to stop him.

I root for, follow, and spend my emotions on the Orioles, not anything John Angelos says or does.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Real nice article, is it a coincidence that JA went to the NY TImes (a favor to Cal Perry?) then Rosenthal answers back on the Athletic which is owned by the Times....

On another note with attendance up about 6k a game that's another $300k or so per game in the coffers and it's almost all profit as game day expenses are largely static. 

Then let's not forget the upcoming Springsteen concert:  Not sure if it is split with the MSA or if MSA caves and gives it all to the Orioles as in the past, either way it is highly lucrative.  Could be off on the #'s but 30,000 @ a $150 attachment is a cool $4.5m before expenses.  Hopefully the concert series revenue goes into the Orioles bottom line as it exists solely because of the stadium lease.  When JA cries poor he conveniently forgets to mention things like this.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because they did it for the large part of 40+ years.  It's hard to wash that stink off.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because they did it for the large part of 40+ years.  It's hard to wash that stink off.  

And even last year they signed the second most expensive pitcher (Rodon) and the most expensive position player (Judge) on the market, though Judge was retaining their own talent instead of raiding another team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Real nice article, is it a coincidence that JA went to the NY TImes (a favor to Cal Perry?) then Rosenthal answers back on the Athletic which is owned by the Times....

On another note with attendance up about 6k a game that's another $300k or so per game in the coffers and it's almost all profit as game day expenses are largely static. 

Then let's not forget the upcoming Springsteen concert:  Not sure if it is split with the MSA or if MSA caves and gives it all to the Orioles as in the past, either way it is highly lucrative.  Could be off on the #'s but 30,000 @ a $150 attachment is a cool $4.5m before expenses.  Hopefully the concert series revenue goes into the Orioles bottom line as it exists solely because of the stadium lease.  When JA cries poor he conveniently forgets to mention things like this.

Though I'm a musician who occasionally tours, I did catch that part.  I would think the majority of that money would go to Springsteen, the main expense. 

Edited by NashLumber