John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Someone explain to this f***tard that the players don’t get expensive for another 4-5 years and that signing them now actually saves the team money.

Oh and that every team does it. I really hate this family. They really make me not want to be an Os fan anymore.

I for one would be fine if they moved the team.

I'm pretty sure he thinks the league minimum is too expensive.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Os4days said:

He is the kind of owner who makes you not want to be a fan of the team any longer. I’ve been a fan of the Os since I was a little kid (having to put up with Peter and his antics) but John’s perspective makes me think twice about vesting any more time and emotion into the team.

It sounds like you're reading my mind. I've been sitting here with these same thoughts and emotions. What good is it to support a team if the owner is  just going to pull the rug out from under? If the only purpose he has as CEO is to grift from the fans and keep it all for his personal bank account without investing in the team, why should ANY fan continue to support that?

That's a real good way to run a franchise into ruin just like the A's ownership has done. Also, Tampa can't even manage to sell out their home stadium when they are in 1st place, so I don't think Tampa has a very good business model.

People want to cheer for home grown players they identify with.  They're not going to stick around when there's a constant firesale of favorite players and repeated tanking.

One of the main reasons the Angels kept Ohtani was because he was a big draw to get fans buying tickets to see their games.

I was a lifelong Redskins fan. Now that franchise alienated me because of the unethical (potentially illegal) conduct of Dan Snyder and I have stopped watching NFL football altogether significantly 

There are always other options to find entertainment. 

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I think that may be your assumption. I never expressed that. Good orgs lock up good elite young talent regardless of the sport. Bad orgs make excuses and complain about the costs/risks.

I expect Henderson, Holliday, etc to ask for market deals, which I am very confident that the O’s under Angelos will balk at paying.

It won’t be these current crop of players who are at fault when they are not retained just as it was not Machado’s fault. And I can’t entertain reasonable discussions looking to blame them or lay fault at their feet.

So this is where I bow out.

This is ridiculous.  Are the Dodgers a good org?   Who did they lock up?   Are the Cardinals a good org?   Who did they lock up?  How about the Astros?   The Braves seem to have gotten a bit lucky with a group that is amenable to these types of contracts.  It likely helps immensely that Acuna signed for such a pittance in getting others to go along. 

2 hours ago, deward said:

The Braves offered Freeman 6 yr/$140mm. Freeman countered higher and the Braves walked away. They promptly traded for Olson and gave him an 8 yr/$168mm extension. The Braves wanted to keep Freeman, couldn't agree on terms, pivoted and reallocated that budget to Olson. My point is that the Braves were fiscally disciplined, but they weren't trying to be cheap. I'm not sure what you're pushing back on here.

I am pushing back because no one here knows if the Orioles are being cheap.  We have no idea if any of the young guys are willing to sign for an amount that anyone here would approve of.  As a matter of fact, given Gunnar’s agent and Adley’s age it’s likely that neither would sign for a deal that anyone on here would countenance.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah real easy being Brian Cashman and Buck Showalter.  When did either of the NY teams win a championship? And if you think rebuilding is just spending more .. let me introduce you to Steve Cohen. 

A higher than 250 payroll team comes with other baggage and are far from “easy” .. both NY teams are where right now? 

You still have to get the moves right, but a higher payroll buys you lots of options.

4 hours ago, brucewayne said:

Gunnar goes to the Blue Jays, Yankees or Red Sox and that's it. He's done to me and a lot of other Os fans. Him and Boras can hangout together.

Blaming Gunnar for going to the highest bidder, instead of our nitwit owner for not locking him up early like a smart team (the Braves would do) is a confusing take to say the least. 

37 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah, I was confused by people saying they would have to sell the team when Peter passes, I suspected a spouse didn't have to pay estate tax, thanks.

There is a difference between not paying estate taxes as a surviving spouse and having a franchise relationship with MLB that requires any new person being approved by MLB executive owner council as a new MLB owner.  These rights of MLB approval as owner do not necessarily go with the property material ownership of the team.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I am pushing back because no one here knows if the Orioles are being cheap.  We have no idea if any of the young guys are willing to sign for an amount that anyone here would approve of.  As a matter of fact, given Gunnar’s agent and Adley’s age it’s likely that neither would sign for a deal that anyone on here would countenance.  

I'd sign Gunnar for a market rate deal. Yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Someone explain to this f***tard that the players don’t get expensive for another 4-5 years and that signing them now actually saves the team money.

Oh and that every team does it. I really hate this family. They really make me not want to be an Os fan anymore.

I for one would be fine if they moved the team.

It doesn’t save money all of the time.  You have to make the correct bets.   It also doesn’t save money if you think you might not own the team in 5 years.  That said, I agree his statements are ham-handed, short-sighted, and generally ones I would associate with the level of intellect of one who bears the label you describe. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

There is a difference between not paying estate taxes as a surviving spouse and having a franchise relationship with MLB that requires any new person being approved by MLB executive owner council as a new MLB owner.  These rights of MLB approval as owner do not necessarily go with the property material ownership of the team.  

The only thing I've contended is that if Peter passes away, his wife owns the team and doesn't have to pay estate taxes, I'm not sure why this is going in 900 directions. People were speaking as if when Peter passes, they will have to sell the team because they can't afford the estate tax. I'm not a lawyer or even remotely interested in either estate or tax law, just simply saying that Georgia will own the team with no estate tax needing to be paid.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You hate to do it to this team but every game, between every inning, the fans should be chanting “sell the team”.

That would accomplish nothing, let them play this season out without them thinking the fans are more concerned with the FO than what they are accomplishing on the field.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

What's next? John Angelos bobblehead night at the yard? Or maybe we can just replace the Oriole bird logo with a John Angelo headshot. It's like he's living in a world where he doesn't realize that the MIghty Gemstones is a parody and it's sad and pathetic. 

If we get a dogpile, everyone realizes minutes after it happening John Angelos will be on national TV holding the trophy.     Adley Rutschman will have already concluded his four minutes of celebration and be back to figuring out what controllables he can control for 2024.