Ohtani Needs Second Tommy John

Dunk35

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

If he was in my team, he’d be a DH and closer. 

DeGrom would also close.

There has been discussion in the past that relief pitching is actually more stressful on the arm.

That said, I do think this is the future for both of those guys.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, that decision by the Angels not to trade him but to acquire Giolito, Cron, Gruchuk and Leone in exchange for promising minor leaguers sure is looking brilliant.  Not to mention the decision to DFA Jacob Webb.  

I hope Ohtani won’t require surgery and this is more of a Masahiro Tanaka situation where rest and rehab can address it.  

Yes and any of us that harbored delusional fantasies about acquiring an Ohtani rental for all of our farm can rest easy that Elias is not a crazy person. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

I remember reading a piece awhile back that said Ohtani was being treated delicately when he first came over, ie skipping his spot in the rotation frequently and giving him days off as a batter. But it wasn't preventing injuries, so they decided to revert to the way he played in Japan, which was just going full tilt and then rehabbing as much as possible. Can't find the article now because there are so many search results for Ohtani. But it felt like a ticking time bomb to me.

Bryce Harper had TJ this past offseason and was back by opening day. I have no doubt Ohtani will take his recovery as seriously. I don't know what that means as a pitcher, but maybe the next chapter of his wonderful story is learning to play in the outfield. He has elite speed and obviously an elite arm, so he could become GG level there.

Harper missed all of April. Didn’t play the field until late July.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There has been discussion in the past that relief pitching is actually more stressful on the arm.

That said, I do think this is the future for both of those guys.

I think it depends on the usage. The idea of pitching back-to-back days and all is what could potentially add stress. But if you are limited to using Ohtani as a DH to protect his ability to pitch and can only use him for an inning at a time every couple days, is that more beneficial to a team than just having him as an outfielder (which by all accounts he's plenty athletic to do at a high level)? Maybe. But it's not a clear yes to me. And given all the restrictions and the fact he's still likely to be quite expensive (though no where near what people thought just a few days ago), it probably makes him a bit too much trouble. 

I've heard Ohtani can play CF.  He certainly has the speed for it.  

If throwing from the OF isn't going to damage his arm further, I would just make him an outfielder next year.  Even if he undergoes surgery, I think the plan to bring him back as a closer isn't a bad one either. 

600 mil + is probably off the table now.  I think he still gets a big deal, surgery or no surgery, just not sure what that's going to look like.  

45 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I know it’s controversial but I have heard about people fixing significant injuries with stem cells. Maybe he can do that and become full time right fielder. Pitching days may be over.

Ohtani played DH with a torn UCL in the past.  I anticipate he will do it again and get TJ again in the offseason.  Last time he got TJ, he played DH during the recovery.  

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Ohtani played DH with a torn UCL in the past.  I anticipate he will do it again and get TJ again in the offseason.  Last time he got TJ, he played DH during the recovery.  

Trade off though in that scenario would be giving up perhaps October 2024.

If the 2nd opinion confirms surgery necessary, there's a small chance an August 2023 procedure could return him to the mound at the end of next year, like '21-'22 Tyler Glasnow.     That said, its a narrow path, but it is a big contrast between 5.5 more weeks of DH at-bats for the '23 Angels, or maybe getting back John Means style for the 2024 tournament.

A bummer for baseball, but also a chance to see Babe Ruth style for a year what happens if he gets to focus only on hitting.    He's a lot better now than he was in 2019, same as we hope Gunnar in future years will go full elite.

Just as a bat, who between him and Judge last year is better?