Monday, August 27: White Sox come to town

SteveA

9 minutes ago, Winter said:

we was rated 1 on lists i do remember but call me a conspiracy theorist i still believe they inflated, maybe overhyped is a better word,  the prospects of the big market teams. 

I'm kind of torn on this one; with number 1 overall, there seems to be a bit more pressure to get it right, because misses at that level call into question your methodology, and I tend to think that people genuinely thought he was that good.  He wasn't ranked any lower than 3rd IIRC, so everyone believed to some extent in his ability.  Baseball is just hard, and projecting baseball players is hard.  I definitely think this effect applies down the line a bit, leading to higher organizational rankings.  Whether this would affect top 5 overall guys?  It might?  really tough for me to be sure though.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

I'm kind of torn on this one; with number 1 overall, there seems to be a bit more pressure to get it right, because misses at that level call into question your methodology, and I tend to think that people genuinely thought he was that good.  He wasn't ranked any lower than 3rd IIRC, so everyone believed to some extent in his ability.  Baseball is just hard, and projecting baseball players is hard.

Eh, I don't know if they inflated things. Moncada had a .910 OPS in AA at 21 years old and a cup of coffee on the big team in 2016.

2 minutes ago, royalstillman said:

If you want to continue paying only $8.50 for a hot dog,then yes.

Given that OPACY now allows us to bring our own food, I’m totally fine with them charging $50, $100 or whatever they feel they need to for a hotdog. Somehow I feel like the generous outside food policy makes in-park food prices almost moot — at some point nobody will buy it. They are keeping it just cheap enough that those who forgot to bring something will be able to afford a food purchase.

But I’d gladly see McKenna off the team permanently. He is not good. His middling AVG hides a putrid overall offensive record. And we have a few other players who are fleeter of foot.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What are the whiners whining about now that they can't demand that Bautista pitch 2 innings in every game the O's have a lead.

Well Hyde didn't use him 2 IP in the after mentioned game and he broke anyway.  This could have easily happened regardless with a guy who throws that hard.  However if you want to go down that route, maybe Elias should have gotten an impact reliever at the deadline and Felix would have more rested.  That's doesn't guarantee he wouldn't have broke anyway.

At the end of the day I am not just sorry for our team's chances, but for Felix himself.  A guy who was in A ball at what at 27 years old, toiling in the minors since he was 18.  He had no control and it was doubtful he'd ever make the majors.  Finally he gets his chance, and this season (his 2nd) he was the man, an All Star closer with his own entrance music.  And this was where he could have made his mark on baseball, the post season, a major cog on a team competing for the WS.  And than this happens.  I feel so bad for him.