Can anyone beat Atlanta anyway???

DocJJ

One of the funniest things about posters here is they’re constantly putting the cart before the horse. Projected lineups for 2-3 years in the future where all prospects are all-star level talents and pondering if we can beat the Braves in a World Series matchup. Hilarious. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

MThe amazing thing is, the core of the team will be intact for years due to Atlanta’s tactic of extending young players. Assuming all options are exercised (number of options in parentheses; 

Riley - 2033 (2)

Harris - 2032 (2)

Olson - 2030 (1)

Strider - 2029 (1)

Murphy - 2029 (1)

Acuna - 2028 (2)

Albies - 2027 (2)

Arcia - 2026 (1)

Ozuna - 2025 (1)

Iglesias - 2025

That’s a great mix of stability and flexibility.   It will be a very expensive team if they keep everyone, though.

4 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Or the 1966 Dodgers. There's another example from 1966, but I forget the detils.

It's a long list. 

In fact . Since 1969, only 14 teams with the  best regular season record have won the World Series.  So 40 times, a team with less than best record has won the Series. 

You East-Coasters probably don't recognize this sticker, but there was a time when every redneck in the midwest and south had this sticker on the back window of their truck.  Usually right next to an "Ain't Skeered" sticker.

Not afraid or skeered of any team if we are on our A-game.

Nofear.jpeg

Let the National League deal with the Braves up until the World Series. The Orioles have to only be concerned about their opponent right in front of them.

At this moment, it's looking like teams for the Orioles to watch out for are the Rays, Mariners, Astros / Rangers / or Blue Jays, and maybe the Twins. These are the teams with the best chances of making the playoffs, which the Orioles might have to go through if they want to go to the World Series.

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

You East-Coasters probably don't recognize this sticker, but there was a time when every redneck in the midwest and south had this sticker on the back window of their truck.  Usually right next to an "Ain't Skeered" sticker.

Nofear.jpeg

I remember a kid shaved this logo in the side of his head when I was in middle school

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

Nofear.jpeg

I remember those. They were very popular for a couple years in Maryland. But then people started getting wind of their origins and then the fad faded away.

The Give 'Em The Heater, Ricky meme is popular here, and the ATL-LAD broadcast just had a report Strider's uniform 99 is because he likes Ricky Vaughn.

'22 Strider had the oblique absence from 9/18 until when in a possibly compromised state on 10/14 Bryce's lineup busted him up.     Imagine Grayson having a lat strain in 2 weeks but then bringing him back one day a month later.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/spencer-strider-makes-braves-nlds-roster-despite-being-sidelined-by-injury-since-mid-september/

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Braves look to be making early statement but they did get to face Lance Lynn not like that a TOR guy.

Well, not at this point, I guess.  But Lynn has to be among the most underrated pitchers of his generation.  113 ERA+ for his career (21st among active pitchers), .588 winning percentage (18th), 133 wins (10th), and 31.1 rWAR (15th).  And, he had a 2.03 ERA in 5 starts since being traded to the Dodgers.  He’ll have made $102 mm in his career when his current contract ends next year.  I’d call that a no. 2 pitcher career.  

Edited by Frobby

11 hours ago, yark14 said:

Nofear.jpeg

Forgot about those! Those were definitely seen on the good ole Eastern Shore about 20-25ish years ago!  I didn't have one....but they were all over at one point. What's the origin?!?!

Atlanta is having a great season and their future looks great. The Phillies are also on a nice run right now....I have several coworkers who are Philly fans (Delaware bandwagon fans, most of which only pay attention when they're good), and I'm worried to death about losing an 83 rematch. I'd NEVER hear the end of it.

Edited by CP0861

17 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

They're so good, but playoff baseball is chaos.. Fangraphs agrees Atlanta is the best team in baseball, but they estimate only a 42% chance ATL even advances to the World Series. (We're at 12%)

For the sake of argument, let's say the Braves have a 66% chance of winning any postseason series. That's almost certainly high, but let's just go with that.

They need to win the NLDS, the NLCS, and the World Series. Combining probabilities, that's more-or-less a (0.66)^3, or a 29% chance at winning the whole thing.  Or, from a different perspective, a 71% chance someone else wins.