6-6 will force tampa to go 9-2 to take the division

ace20251

53 minutes ago, ace20251 said:

can the O's play .500 ball these last 12 games? if they do the rays will have to finish 9-2 to win the division. having the tie breaker is big.

It would be very disappointing if a team that played.600+ baseball can't finish at .500...even if they clinch and kinda mail it in over the last few games.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Melanie said on the postgame show that the O’s needed to go 6-6 to clinch the division.  Uh, no, Melanie. 

But, our odds are looking good.  

I thought I had heard the same thing but didn’t feel like rewinding. Don’t know where she came up with that.  Sunday Rob Long mentioned how the Yankees won the division last year and this year were in last place. I guess he missed the Red Sox sitting behind the Yankees.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

That’s exactly what Fangraphs are. Bunch of hatin’ ass haters. 

Here’s what irks me right now.  They do a power ranking every week where they put the teams in tiers.  As of Monday, the O’s are in Tier 3.  Tier 3!  Are you frigging kidding me?   Give me a break!  The team has played one of the toughest schedules of any team, has the second best record in the sport, just won the season series with Tampa rather handily, and they’re in Tier effing 3?   Meanwhile, Tampa (5-8 against the Orioles and 2 games behind when the list was done) are in Tier 1, and Toronto (3-10 against the O’s and 10.5 games behind) are in Tier 2.  That’s inexcusable.  
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/fangraphs-power-rankings-september-11-17/

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Red Sox series is 4 games. 

Even better. So all we have to do is spilt that one…. not saying Tampa can’t win 9 of 11 because they are really a good team with experience in these pressure packed situations. But I feel VERY CONFIDENT that we are up to just about any task!

8 hours ago, ace20251 said:

can the O's play .500 ball these last 12 games? if they do the rays will have to finish 9-2 to win the division. having the tie breaker is big.

It's not a huge stretch of the imagination to think the O's could have a losing record the rest of the way and that the Rays--who, frankly speaking, have overcome even more challenges than we have--can muster a torrid finish. We'll just have to experience the games as they come. Houston and Boston are motivated to win as many games as possible, and it's baseball: even the Indians and Nationals have won a total of 138 games this season.

Yes, owning the tie-breaker is very nice, even though there is little chance that it will matter.