The Tyler Wells story.

Natty

Just now, Natty said:

You are contradicting your own words... you said... "It also wasn't a "very important" game." 

Sure, because I was trying to show you how illogical your comment was.

It was a game.  It was no more or less important than the June 7th game against the Brewers.

No one was crying about how important that game was.

Saw Wells tonight, he was unimpressive. A lot of the guys in Norfolk that have been up and down don't even look that great in AAA. Vespi was meh tonight. Brian Baker was downright awful, nearly blew a 11-4 lead in the 9th, tying run came to the plate before he could get three outs.

Don't think there is a solid answer for the pen at this point, gotta run what ya brung.

On a happier note, the Norfolk offense is humming.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Who says we keep bringing in Fuji to ruin games like today. Instead of trying Wells? 

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Fuji has given up runs in 1 of the 7 games he pitched in this month with that being today.  Wells has given up runs in 4 of the last 6 games he been in this month.  I am a big Wells fan but for whatever reason he has not pitched good since July.  Then you add in they are barely using him giving him 3-5 days rest in between every outing and he is no help to a major league pen.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Wells just needs to get in better shape in the off season and build up the stamina needed to get through a long season.  He needs to study guys like David Wells and Bartolo Colon to find out what made them the athletes they were. 

A nightly 6 pack and a buffet?  :)

This happened to Wells last season too.  His off-season strength and conditioning plan was built around being starter for the full season.  Back at it again this off-season I suppose.

Wells just ran out of steam. Career high in MLB innings. He gave us some big outings. Starting from his first appearance when he game in against Texas after Bradish took a liner. 

Kudos to him for staying healthy all season. I think this is the first time he’s done that in his professional career. He gets to prove and point to himself and everyone that he could make it through a full season. Next year the goal is to to 150 IP in the MLB. He was a bonafide #2/#3 SP in the first half. 

Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer, Wells

That’s a darn good rotation. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wells just ran out of steam. Career high in MLB innings. He gave us some big outings. Starting from his first appearance when he game in against Texas after Bradish took a liner. 

Kudos to him for staying healthy all season. I think this is the first time he’s done that in his professional career. He gets to prove and point to himself and everyone that he could make it through a full season. Next year the goal is to to 150 IP in the MLB. He was a bonafide #2/#3 SP in the first half. 

Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer, Wells

That’s a darn good rotation. 

“Running out of steam” which caused a demotion to the minors, where he was ineffective and remained for the last two months of the year, is proving he could make it through a full season?   I don’t think so.

I see it more like his steam was intentionally depleted fast in a reasonable strategy while Grayson and Irvin were on the struggle bus, Means was hurt, and Bradish had his brief beeline absence.

Many pitchers' self-image is Roy Halladay, and it is the Org's job to sort through them.

It is disappointing he appears not to have been able to bounce back.    It makes Irvin v. Wells a closer SP5 call for opening 2024, and if McDermott splashes that picture next spring....      

12 hours ago, Too Tall said:

I don't profess to know what happened to Wells - you apparentley don't know what happened to Wells - we can blame it on Hyde,Frazier, Elias, or even Wells, whoever fits anyone's agenda - we lost a one run game - one loss out of three games in Houston - our bullpen is taxed - we are playing a million games in a row without a break - Tampa is losing as I type - we still lead the division - the world will not end tonight. This team of players that nobody wanted is doing pretty damn well - thank you. We lost our best relief pitcher and are still winning. Pitchers break and Wells wearing down is not a new phenomenon. Let's just keep winning series.

Drop the mike Too Tall, drop the mic. ;)

This bullpen is toast due this stretch of games, but also because outside of Flaherty now, they don't really have a length guy out there.

Wells seems like he would fit the part, but he really hasn't been looking all that great down in AAA and they've been using him as a one inning guy and not a length guy anyways.

This was why I was not happy they demoted Cole Irvin. Irvin is a guy that is able to provide length and with so many guys throwing so often, he could have taken some of those innings. Instead the team choose to stick with Lopez and sent Irvin down for 15 days and I think that's bit them a bit, especially yesterday when it was clear the bullpen is absolutely toast. 

They have to do some kind of move for tonight because the pen is still toast. If Grayson has a bad night and has to come out early, they are in a lot of trouble to cover down on those innings.

• Upvote 1