Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

2 hours ago, DenaOsHon said:

Moore should call JA’s bluff. Orioles have no leverage. MLB won’t approve them to move. Just sell the team

The Banner article makes it sound like the MOU gives the O’s certain development rights and that Angelo’s wants to stick with the MOU. To me that sounds like the state is trying to backtrack. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

The Banner article makes it sound like the MOU gives the O’s certain development rights and that Angelo’s wants to stick with the MOU. To me that sounds like the state is trying to backtrack. 

That could well be.   The MOU has parts that each side likes and others they grudgingly agreed to in order to get the parts they like.   Angelos doesn’t want to lose leverage by locking in the lease commitment without getting the development rights promised in the MOU in an equally enforceable fashion.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Yeah after reading again I agree. What a mess but I am not concerned at all about a new lease. The Orioles are not going anywhere but I sure do wish Angelos would go somewhere.

42 minutes ago, DenaOsHon said:

Yeah after reading again I agree. What a mess but I am not concerned at all about a new lease. The Orioles are not going anywhere but I sure do wish Angelos would go somewhere.

I am no Angelos apologist but in the case, I guess I can't blame him if the state agreed to something and then changed it. I would like a better owner but the grass is not always greener. I remember the Eli Jacobs days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I am no Angelos apologist but in the case, I guess I can't blame him if the state agreed to something and then changed it. I would like a better owner but the grass is not always greener. I remember the Eli Jacobs days. 

Eli Jacobs was the owner that signed the first 30 year lease extension in 1992. Actually did not have a formal lease at Camden Yards till 1992. Had a memo of understanding ftom 1988 till 1992. Lease expired in 2021 and Angelos decided on a two year extension and not the five year one. So here we are and discusses on a long term lease extension have  been going on since before 2020. 

Edited by Going Underground

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Eli Jacobs was the owner that signed the first 30 year lease extension in 1992. Actually did not have a formal lease at Camden Yards till 1992. Had a memo of understanding ftom 1988 till 1992. Lease expired in 2021 and Angelos decided on a two year extension and not the five year one. So here we are and discusses on a long term lease extension have  been going on since before 2020. 

I’m not sure what your point is but all that may be true but he was a horrible, crappy owner that was in a lot of ways worse than the family. 

26 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I’m not sure what your point is but all that may be true but he was a horrible, crappy owner that was in a lot of ways worse than the family. 

Agreed. Just stating a historical fact about Mr. Jacobs since you brought him up. Also it is interesting in the first few years at Camden Yards ,that the Orioles played with a MOA.I don't think they will do that at the end of the year 

The team yesterday agreed to a 30-year lease for Oriole Park at Camden Yards, tying up a legal loose end under which the team has been occupying its new home this season without a formal lease.

The 190-page lease makes official virtually all of the terms under which the Orioles have been using the stadium, which were set out in a 46-page "memorandum of agreement" signed by the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority in 1988.

• Upvote 1

What happens if the state and Orioles can't come to a deal by Dec 31st?

MSA executive director Michael Fenz said he'd expect them to go to a "month-to-month" agreement.  

"I, mean, certainly, we're not going to kick them out on 12/31 or January 1."

Ok so that is somewhat reassuring.  The O's will just be free to use the facilities on a month to month basis.  Yay?

😑