Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Yes, I was talking to my friend who works for the state. He stated depending on the provision that the state would have to also put this in the Ravens lease. So both teams could have an opt out after 10 years.  Also the administration and the Orioles want this done because they have been promising a deal done by the end of the year.  So if you put in provisions that are not great and things fall apart, the current administration will be long gone and you delivered the lease deal.

Seems like some in legislature see the opposite of that. Which is good.

There is no reason why the Governor should care whether the lease is signed by 12/31.  He’s one year into a four-year term as Governor, and by the time he’s up for reelection, voters won’t even remember what year the lease was signed.   And honestly, as a Maryland voter, the Camden Yards lease is not in the top 100 things I care about in deciding if Moore is a good Governor or not.  And finally, to the extent I do care, not giving away the store is more about important than the exact timing of when the lease gets signed.   

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Yes, I was talking to my friend who works for the state. He stated depending on the provision that the state would have to also put this in the Ravens lease. So both teams could have an opt out after 10 years.  Also the administration and the Orioles want this done because they have been promising a deal done by the end of the year.  So if you put in provisions that are not great and things fall apart, the current administration will be long gone and you delivered the lease deal.

I hear you …but Wes Moore is an idiot for tentatively agreeing with that clause in it. He will be gone in ten years and it will be another’s problem to deal with. 

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There is no reason why the Governor should care whether the lease is signed by 12/31.  He’s one year into a four-year term as Governor, and by the time he’s up for reelection, voters won’t even remember what year the lease was signed.   And honestly, as a Maryland voter, the Camden Yards lease is not in the top 100 things I care about in deciding if Moore is a good Governor or not.  And finally, to the extent I do care, not giving away the store is more about important than the exact timing of when the lease gets signed.   

I think he has egg on his face over the fact that it isn’t done after he showed up at a game and announced it as done when it wasn’t. If something bad happens moving forward that will be his legacy.

I'm still thinking that the reason for the hold up in this deal is that new ownership wouldn't want any kind of Angelos involvement lingering in or around the Orioles, the Park, or district surrounding the Park.  Why would someone buy knowing that these characters would be trying to exert authority over stuff so closely associated with the club.  If I'm buying, it's a hard no if this deal goes thru just because I wouldn't want to deal in any way with that family.  So, for me, the fact that this thing is lingering the way it is, just lends more credence to the sale "rumors."

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

The Baltimore Sun editorial board wrote a really critical article about the whole lease fiasco yeaterday.

Gov. Wes Moore is losing big in Orioles negotiations | STAFF COMMENTARY – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/11/moore-orioles-lease/

Let others debate the pros and cons of small-market baseball teams and payroll costs and the potential benefits of creating a “lifestyle destination” around Camden Yards like The Battery in Atlanta. What we see is more like a mini political Waterloo for the state’s top Democrat. Moore may have initially seen a mano a mano negotiation with Angelos that bypasses the Maryland Stadium Authority as a way to cut through bureaucracy and do something big for Baltimore. But right now, it just looks like he’s working hard for the benefit of a friend, and if continues in this direction it’s going to crush his credibility. Appearances count, and there’s simply no question that at almost no stage of this theatrical event has Governor Moore looked to be getting tough on Angelos to best represent the state’s taxpayers. In fact, he gave the Orioles CEO leverage in the deal by publicly announcing in September a nonbinding memorandum of understanding to eventually sign a lease that included a development rights agreement.

Edited by Going Underground
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Baltimore Sun editorial board wrote a really critical article about the whole lease fiasco yeaterday.

Gov. Wes Moore is losing big in Orioles negotiations | STAFF COMMENTARY – Baltimore Sun

Let others debate the pros and cons of small-market baseball teams and payroll costs and the potential benefits of creating a “lifestyle destination” around Camden Yards like The Battery in Atlanta. What we see is more like a mini political Waterloo for the state’s top Democrat. Moore may have initially seen a mano a mano negotiation with Angelos that bypasses the Maryland Stadium Authority as a way to cut through bureaucracy and do something big for Baltimore. But right now, it just looks like he’s working hard for the benefit of a friend, and if continues in this direction it’s going to crush his credibility. Appearances count, and there’s simply no question that at almost no stage of this theatrical event has Governor Moore looked to be getting tough on Angelos to best represent the state’s taxpayers. In fact, he gave the Orioles CEO leverage in the deal by publicly announcing in September a nonbinding memorandum of understanding to eventually sign a lease that included a development rights agreement.

Wes Moore wants to run for president, potentially as early as 2028. He is someone rising in the ranks of the Dem party. 

The problem for Moore, or any governor for Maryland, is the city of Baltimore. Baltimore will always hold that person back.  This deal and the potential for growth and things like that is something that Moore can hang his hat on later.

All of this is a you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours type thing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure if it’s been discussed but are we not sure Rubenstein is not involved with this. Obviously he has contacts in DC and could be using this to lower the price of the sale. Not saying it’s a fact but something to think about. If the Orioles are on a short term lease and not a large development project would definitely lower the price. 

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

It's really quite embarrassing that the Ravens have renderings of stadium improvements ready to go while JA continues to crusade for the right to use all the money on a roller coaster and a Pinkberry outside the park. 

One organization has an owner who is an adult. The other is being run by a toddler looking to screw as many people over as possible. 

"Mini-Waterloo?"  Puh-leeze.  The irony here is the Sun complaining about Moore not looking tough when  it's a near certainty after all the editorials of late, the local fishwrap will still endorse Moore in his next election.   What does stand out is that the Governor is not alone in selling out to his cronies for really cheap.  Angelos stands to gain far, far more in kickbacks than his maximized campaign contributions.  Those kickbacks are paid for by every Maryland taxpayer.   Angelos is the one without any leverage, but you'd never know it.  MLB will never allow the team to be moved.  

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

• Upvote 1