Trevor Bauer

Yossarian

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

So, I'm assuming that this thread was started in response to the revelations that the media, in particular The Athletic, knowingly published FALSE information, which painted Bauer in a negative light.

I don't want this guy in the O's clubhouse for a bunch of reasons, but he's been maligned and treated very unfairly and honestly, it sucks.

As much as you may think you hate the media in this country, you don't hate them nearly enough.

This x 500,000,000..... 

When I was a Ravens ballboy, I saw the org send rookies through hours and hours of preparation for what comes with fame & money. To their credit, they really do legitimately try. 

Sadly, it doesn't always stick. In fact, it usually doesn't. 

And even more sadly, there are lots of people who are super motivated to extort money from rich young athletes with not enough blood flowing through their brains. 

End of the day, Pickles is 100% correct. The reactionary BS from those in their media ivory towers has always been inexcusable and wrong. But unfortunately, given the way of the world these days, it will likely continue. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Right player, right price.

But is he still the right player?  Depending on what else we do, if he comes cheaply, I would consider it but he’s not at or near the top of my list.

I hope he gets a job back in the majors though and I hope that POS that drug his name through the coals goes to prison.  It’s the least they should do to her.

At least he's continued pitching overseas, and hasn't been totally out of baseball.  

If the price is right, the Orioles should make an offer.  Bauer is an incredible talent, and an ace pitcher would really reinforce the rotation going into this window of competition.  

Bauer was smart to sue her and get access to this evidence in the discovery process.  It's unfortunate that he was unable to make that happen 2 years ago before this thing got blown up by the media.  That girl needs to be prosecuted.  

Bauer strikes me as an intense guy who thinks he's smarter than other players (and may actually be in more cases than not).  Whatever he does it is full tilt without much regard for the consequences (or intentional for the sensationalism).  Messing with drones during a playoff run?  Slice...  Letting the emotions get the best of him in a bad outing?  And there goes the ball in the stands...  Having a different opinion on how to attack a hitter than his catcher does?  Gabriel Moreno's beef...  Pointing to his head after striking out Votto?  Playing mind games...  He wanted to his arbitration filing request to be $6,420,969.69.  Why?  Well... 69 and 420 references...  BD 911?  Striking out people with an eye closed?  

I see a guy who's heavily influenced by social media and the internet.  As such, he's troll-ish like so many online personas.

I did see that he praised Lindor and Carrasco when they went to the Mets.  He commented on how Lindor grew into his leadership (over his rocky MiLB 'character issues' himself) and called a clubhouse meeting after Bauer threw the ball in the stands.  Bauer agreed that Lindor rightfully ripped into him.  And he had some really personable things to say about Carrasco when he was diagnosed with cancer.

I can see about half of the teams having some type of interest.  Meaning there's less than a 10% chance of any one team signing him anyway.  Maybe less for teams not willing to go longer with years in general (like the O's).  

And I do think the O's consider him at the right cost and years.  

A big concern I'd have if I'm Elias is:  If he's the 'smartest guy in the room' how does he take coaching?  Specifically, the data used prepping for the hitters he's going to face?  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, dystopia said:

The Orioles organization has clearly put great effort into crafting the kind of positive chemistry and culture that we’ve seen this year and it’s because they avoided bringing in players like Bauer, Pham, Donaldson, etc. Why risk messing that up when there’s loads better options? No guarantee Bauer pitches well either, he’s 32 now and not getting younger, and he’s been out of MLB since 2021. 

Well first of all, none of us know if he’s some cancer in the clubhouse or to what extent he is an issue.  There are always 2 sides to a story and btw, even if he was a clubhouse cancer, that doesn’t mean he will be one now. He has been out of MLB for 2 years and is 32 years old. He has been through a lot and probably gotten a big dose of maturity along the way.

Secondly, if the Os deem him as some big problem, so be it..no big deal.

But if they don’t and they choose to bring him here, this is a strong clubhouse full of guys having fun and I wouldn’t be worried about him negatively impacting this group of guys at all.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm very unsure that his stuff would translate at age 32 back to MLB. His numbers this year in Japan:

https://npb.jp/bis/eng/players/33235157.html 

Let's be real.... there's very little chance that any MLB team is going to want to endure the waterfall of **** that would rain down upon them after offering Bauer a job. 

Except he now looks like the real victim.

I do believe there was some evidence of dropped velo and stuff like that. I think he’s worth a flyer and someone will give it to him but a lot has to not happen before I’m bringing him in.

If he can pitch as before this mess happened and the guys in the clubhouse/ME and Hyde want him then yes all day long. I don't care about the other stuff. If the person isn't in prison and he's a decent teammate then I don't look to athletes as role models so I don't care. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Bauer strikes me as an intense guy who thinks he's smarter than other players (and may actually be in more cases than not).  Whatever he does it is full tilt without much regard for the consequences (or intentional for the sensationalism).  Messing with drones during a playoff run?  Slice...  Letting the emotions get the best of him in a bad outing?  And there goes the ball in the stands...  Having a different opinion on how to attack a hitter than his catcher does?  Gabriel Moreno's beef...  Pointing to his head after striking out Votto?  Playing mind games...  He wanted to his arbitration filing request to be $6,420,969.69.  Why?  Well... 69 and 420 references...  BD 911?  Striking out people with an eye closed?  

I see a guy who's heavily influenced by social media and the internet.  As such, he's troll-ish like so many online personas.

I did see that he praised Lindor and Carrasco when they went to the Mets.  He commented on how Lindor grew into his leadership (over his rocky MiLB 'character issues' himself) and called a clubhouse meeting after Bauer threw the ball in the stands.  Bauer agreed that Lindor rightfully ripped into him.  And he had some really personable things to say about Carrasco when he was diagnosed with cancer.

I can see about half of the teams having some type of interest.  Meaning there's less than a 10% chance of any one team signing him anyway.  Maybe less for teams not willing to go longer with years in general (like the O's).  

And I do think the O's consider him at the right cost and years.  

A big concern I'd have if I'm Elias is:  If he's the 'smartest guy in the room' how does he take coaching?  Specifically, the data used prepping for the hitters he's going to face?  

He is a smart guy with a BS detector. He really knows the analytics part of the game well and stands up for himself when needed. With veterans, it's not so much coaching as providing them information/suggestions that they accept or reject. He is no different. 

44 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This x 500,000,000..... 

When I was a Ravens ballboy, I saw the org send rookies through hours and hours of preparation for what comes with fame & money. To their credit, they really do legitimately try. 

Sadly, it doesn't always stick. In fact, it usually doesn't. 

And even more sadly, there are lots of people who are super motivated to extort money from rich young athletes with not enough blood flowing through their brains. 

End of the day, Pickles is 100% correct. The reactionary BS from those in their media ivory towers has always been inexcusable and wrong. But unfortunately, given the way of the world these days, it will likely continue. 

It's not even reactionary.  They are literally publishing FALSE information, knowing it is false, in order to advance a narrative.

The public lynching and depersoning of Trevor Bauer is the LEAST of their crimes.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

At least he's continued pitching overseas, and hasn't been totally out of baseball.  

If the price is right, the Orioles should make an offer.  Bauer is an incredible talent, and an ace pitcher would really reinforce the rotation going into this window of competition.  

Bauer was smart to sue her and get access to this evidence in the discovery process.  It's unfortunate that he was unable to make that happen 2 years ago before this thing got blown up by the media.  That girl needs to be prosecuted.  

So does the media, which knowingly slandered Bauer.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Let's be real.... there's very little chance that any MLB team is going to want to endure the waterfall of **** that would rain down upon them after offering Bauer a job. 

Correct.  Regardless of how wronged Bauer may or may not have been, he's still going to be a lightning rod for negativity well into the future.  Maybe it's not fair, but if I were Brandon Hyde I would look back on all the effort expended over the last five years getting the O's to where they are now and say "no thanks" without skipping a beat.  And at this point I would expect Hyde's desires in this regard to be respected.

Hard pass for me too.

Bauer can pound sand. Just because they settled doesnt mean he isnt a massive piece of crap. He is also the guy that has Luke Scott levels of conspiratorial thinking and sliced his finger effing around with a drone right before Cleveland's playoff run. He is a known cheater with the sticky stuff and is pretty much the reason for increased crackdowns - he essentially admitted as such. 

He mas multiple allegations against him in Ohio and Arizona that haven't gone beyond restraining orders. 

He is not worth it. 

10 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

FWIW its why I wouldnt want Aroldis Chapman or German on the team either. I personally have zero tolerance for this stuff. 

Wander Franco might be a free agent soon too. 

Yeah, no desire for any of them. The foundation of this roster has a ton of positive mojo and there's no reason to add any level of drama.

Forget the fake sexual beating stuff. Bauer was always a little bit too much of a "look at me" guy anyway. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio