This can be done

vab

It'll be hard, but it can be done.  The Rangers, as many have noted on here, can be streaky.  If we can get to their bullpen in these games, I like our chances.

The Orioles don't quit.  They tried to mount a comeback yesterday and did an admirable job.  

That's one thing I've always liked about Hyde's teams, even the losing ones.  They can get their brains beat in and come back like nothing ever happened.  

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

This MLB.com article discusses the 10 times a team has come back from 2-0 to win a five game series. 

One of the 10 teams to blow a 2-0 lead was the 2015 Texas Rangers, who won games 1 and 2 in Toronto. They lost games 3 and 4 in Texas and lost game 5 in the famous Bautista bat flip game. 

As much as I absolutely hated Bautista - that was the most epic bat flip - ever. 

1 hour ago, SilentJames said:

As much as I absolutely hated Bautista - that was the most epic bat flip - ever. 

Behold Tom Lawless, he of career two homers in 8 major league seasons...performing the most epic bat flip ever, in Game 4 of the '87 Series.

If you want, FFWD to the 1 minute mark for the replay.

• Upvote 3

Do little scrappy guys get allowances for showing up big star pitchers?     

That is a fantastic YouTube pull.     '87 World Series stands out in my memory for home field advantage.    7-0 for the home teams....it didn't matter if Twins were throwing their aces in St. Louis, or back rotation guys in front of the Hefty trash bag outfield wall.

Viola got the last laugh in Game 7.    

Its crazy the deciding game thrills Minnesota fans got twice in a 5-year period.   '87 and '91 - Viola and Morris both threw long three times in eight calendar days.

I guess technically the Orioles won a winner take all postseason game if you let the Saunders-Darvish wildcard game count.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Do little scrappy guys get allowances for showing up big star pitchers?     

That is a fantastic YouTube pull.     '87 World Series stands out in my memory for home field advantage.    7-0 for the home teams....it didn't matter if Twins were throwing their aces in St. Louis, or back rotation guys in front of the Hefty trash bag outfield wall.

Viola got the last laugh in Game 7.    

Its crazy the deciding game thrills Minnesota fans got twice in a 5-year period.   '87 and '91 - Viola and Morris both threw long three times in eight calendar days.

I guess technically the Orioles won a winner take all postseason game if you let the Saunders-Darvish wildcard game count.

The '91 World Series was also 7-0 for the home teams.  That was maybe the best World Series of my lifetime with 5 of 7 games decided by one run and 3 games (include Games 6 AND 7) going extra innings.

This team has bounced back from gut punch losses over and over again this season.  They looked like they were toast after games 1 and 2 of the last Tampa series, but they came back.   This team is nothing if not resilient.  And they've been outstanding on the road.  If any team can come back and win this series, it's the O's.  

On 10/8/2023 at 8:03 PM, NedFromYork said:

If Kremer is game 3 starter then that is why Gibson should have been brought in right after Grod.  He has playoff experience pitching in relief.  With the way things are he may not pitch at all in the series, which doesn't make sense the way things are laid out.  You worry about game 4 if there is a game 4.

That's exactly right. Lack of postseason experience by Hyde. "I wanted to see if Baker could give us an inning". It is what it is. Perhaps he will do better next year.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:03 PM, NedFromYork said:

If Kremer is game 3 starter then that is why Gibson should have been brought in right after Grod.  He has playoff experience pitching in relief.  With the way things are he may not pitch at all in the series, which doesn't make sense the way things are laid out.  You worry about game 4 if there is a game 4.

I know, right. I remember the Diamondbacks in the World Series and the NL Championship bringing in Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling to close out games on very very short rest. Same with the Red Sox and the Marlins iirc doing similar things in the playoffs.  They didn't concern themselves about tomorrow. They wanted their best for today.

Win today. Then worry about tomorrow if/when tomorrow actually comes.

If it comes down to it, they might even have to bring Gibson in today because if they lose, their season is over and there would be no tomorrow. It's a true 'must win' game for today, tomorrow, and the next.

O-R-I-O-L-E-S, ORIOLES! Let's go!!!

• Upvote 1

Th 2023 Orioles have been most impressive when they have faced adversity -- going up against a top starting pitching, falling behind early, trailing in the late innings, scoring with two outs, picking each other up after an error or dumb play, turning things around after a couple of bad games, catching and then staying ahead of the Rays after their ridiculously fast start, working for John Angelos (😉). 

You can't begin a game in a situation that's much more adverse than this.

Of course I want the O’s to win tonight so they can continue pursuing the goal of getting deeper in the playoffs and hopefully to make it to and win the World Series.   But there’s another reason I want them to win.  

Simply put, I’m not ready for the Orioles’ season to be over.   I’ve lived died with this team for more than six months, and really, even going back to spring training, when I attended three games.  It’s been such a compelling season.  It’s thrilled me, and at times, it’s drained me.  It’s just a huge part of my daily routine.  And I know all seasons eventually end, and almost always short of the ultimate prize.  But I am just not ready to wake up tomorrow and not have an Orioles game to care about.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1