Bowden top 40 FA list

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, you keep bringing up the SH stuff as if it’s a big deal. 

Hicks has been in the league for a decade. 2017 and 2018 are the only full seasons where he hit well from both sides of the plate. Otherwise, every other year he has been bad from at least one side of the plate.

I think the SH flexibility that Adley, Santa, and Hicks offer, really helped stabilize the lineup over the course of 162.  It not only helps them but then protects others from being matched up on with bullpens.  Like Gunnar.  After losing Bautista for next year... I don't think it's wise to ditch our SH advantage as well.  Giving up those advantages next year could be the difference in us preventing some record regression.  

I'm all for platoon advantages next year and tailoring our team to play to the strengths of our ballpark.  Keep the Switch Hitters.  My offseason wish list,

- Keep Santa and Hicks

- 6 man rotation (Bradish, Means, Grayson, Irvin, Wells, Kremer)

- Only move one of Mateo and Urias.

- Make a trade for a backend RH reliever.  Here's where we might have to tap into our prospect depth outside of the scrap trade proposals of Stowers, Norby, Mateo/Urias, Mckenna.  Maybe someone like Beavers has to go, but our RH relief side is pretty bare right now.  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think the SH flexibility that Adley, Santa, and Hicks offer, really helped stabilize the lineup over the course of 162.  It not only helps them but then protects others from being matched up on with bullpens.  Like Gunnar.  After losing Bautista for next year... I don't think it's wise to ditch our SH advantage as well.  Giving up those advantages next year could be the difference in us preventing some record regression.  

I'm all for platoon advantages next year and tailoring our team to play to the strengths of our ballpark.  Keep the Switch Hitters.  My offseason wish list,

- Keep Santa and Hicks

- Make a trade for a backend RH reliever.  Here's where we might have to tap into our prospect depth outside of the scrap trade proposals of Stowers, Norby, Mateo/Urias, Mckenna.  Maybe someone like Beavers has to go, but our RH relief side is pretty bare right now.  

It doesn’t stabilize anything if they can’t hit well from one of the sides of the plate. Just because someone can stand in both batters boxes doesn’t mean they are productive players from each side.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No problem. I still think he’s better than Jordan Hicks.

Agreed.  I don't see us giving out money to a RH reliever.  Especially after we essentially gave Givens 5-6 million for nothing.  It will be interesting to see if we tender Tate.  So that leaves the trade market for a RH reliever, or a waiver claim.  The problem is that 85% of the league thinks they have a shot at a playoff spot in the offseason.  

I don't believe Elias will spend more than $2.5-3 million on any pure reliever now or anytime in the near future.  In the 5 years he's run the O's baseball operations, the only example of him spending that kind of money on relief pitching is reacquiring FA Mychal Givens for $3 million in 2023 and retaining Voth for $1.85.  I don't believe Fujinami will be retained so his 2023 baseline salary won't factor in.

My theory is that Sig has a super fancy algorithm showing it's a poor use of resources.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I don't believe Elias will spend more than $2.5-3 million on any pure reliever now or anytime in the near future.  In the 5 years he's run the O's baseball operations, the only example of him spending that kind of money on relief pitching is reacquiring FA Mychal Givens for $3 million in 2023 and retaining Voth for $1.85.  I don't believe Fujinami will be retained so his 2023 baseline salary won't factor in.

My theory is that Sig has a super fancy algorithm showing it's a poor use of resources.

I think Elias has a super simple budget that doesn't leave room for it.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

- Keep Santa and Hicks

The plan is being mandated by the amount of money Angelos wants ti make available. We all know this is a limited amount. In order to stay competitive that means parting with guys that a mid to upper payroll team would keep. We aren’t that team under John Angelos. The alternative is to deal guys whose control is 1-2 years in order to keep the prospect train running. I think every fan would like to keep Santander. I just don’t think it’s realistic. Elias needs to be making the argument to keep that studs with early extensions. Hopefully he can convince John & Georgia that it helps with the teams value to be healthy and competitive when they are forced to sell when the inevitable happens. Keeping Santander now means your willing to let him walk with no return, plan to give him a QO that’s $21 million ( I don’t think the Orioles would risk it) or Your committed to him for $15 plus per season for 3–4 years (I don’t think the Orioles are and you are blocking the prospects that are ready), and again it’s an asset lost with no return. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Elias has a super simple budget that doesn't leave room for it.

I will be surprised and more than a little disappointed if he doesn't have at least another $20 million above 2023's payroll authorized and earmarked for the 26-man.

ME has said that the wall was built largely to attract FA pitchers who for a whole host of reasons would not have considered Baltimore, now it appears the wall is to be amended (at least asthetically) so I guess winning (and data) change perspectives. 

I am sure there will be a number of agents contacting Elias with short term "make -good" deals.  Who wouldn't want to play for the Orioles now, on top of that to work with postion coaches who backed by analytics seem to get more out of players (e.g. Bradisch adding a two seamer and pitching to the wall).   I think they will add a few RH relievers on 1/2 year deals in that vien. 

I also think Elias/Hyde will follow the same Houston/Chicago script, eschew free agency and trade for players (specifically starters) towards the end of a contract.  It's risk averse (you pretty much have to write off an injury year on most LT SP contracts) and limits the exposure if there is to be a sale after PA's death.

I would love to see a LH starter like Montgomery but I think there is a much better chance major acqusitions come via trade as opposed to free agency-it is nice to dream though!!

12 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

ME has said that the wall was built largely to attract FA pitchers who for a whole host of reasons would not have considered Baltimore, now it appears the wall is to be amended (at least asthetically) so I guess winning (and data) change perspectives. 

I am sure there will be a number of agents contacting Elias with short term "make -good" deals.  Who wouldn't want to play for the Orioles now, on top of that to work with postion coaches who backed by analytics seem to get more out of players (e.g. Bradisch adding a two seamer and pitching to the wall).   I think they will add a few RH relievers on 1/2 year deals in that vien. 

I also think Elias/Hyde will follow the same Houston/Chicago script, eschew free agency and trade for players (specifically starters) towards the end of a contract.  It's risk averse (you pretty much have to write off an injury year on most LT SP contracts) and limits the exposure if there is to be a sale after PA's death.

I would love to see a LH starter like Montgomery but I think there is a much better chance major acqusitions come via trade as opposed to free agency-it is nice to dream though!!

I don't want the O's to target the caliber of pitcher that will be materially influenced by the change in the wall.

Will it take guaranteed money to bring back Jorge Lopez?  That's a deal that I think happens.  Does MLB pressure Elias to spend money like they were rumored to last year?  

The frustrating part of this team is that we have a 100 win regular season team.  The rental SP and reliever should've been bought at last year's deadline.  I don't see us handing out millions for that this offseason.  So we're essentially playing to just be in the same situation we were in last July 31 at best.  Sadly, we might have to make a move or two just to keep pace with regression, the Bautista injury, and the other teams in our division.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

18 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well at least we get to keep Aaron Hicks. Gotta love the SH bat and the ability to at least stand out in CF.

As much as I want to think that we could get Giolito and fix him… I just don’t see us being a top destination for rebuild value spots for SP. Even though we have the wall… we still play in a division that is loaded with offense and homer friendly stadiums. 

I’m guessing we’ll make a run for Sonny Gray, but won’t go further than 3 years. He led the league in FIP and HR/9.  If we miss on him, then Giolito becomes an option. 

Really?!! Aaron Hicks does nothing but take ab's from Kjerstad/Cowser. He hasn't hit since 2018 and your gonna keep him after a 200 at bat showing? Think Travis Snyder....

On 10/31/2023 at 3:37 PM, oriole said:

Montgomery makes too much sense unless the O’s want to be cheap. Yes, I’m aware that they’re going to be cheap  thus he won’t be signed. But he’s a consistent left hander that has done it in this division. 

Does he though at that price? I like Montgomery, but I don't think I'd give him a five year deal.