Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

James McCann said the other day when he was coming up the Tigers system Al Kaline told him 1500 minors and 1500 majors plate appearances to discover who you are.

Of course Al played in the reserve clause days.     Kaline and McCann seem pretty far apart on my sense of baseball time, so I thought it was cool their paths crossed.

Kaline also never played in the minors.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

So, what are the Reds up to?  They have an overload of young infielders like we do and just signed Jeimer Candelaria, primarily a 3B, to a 3/45 contract.  They are said to be in on Cease.   If the plan is to play Candelaria primarily at 1B, then maybe it doesn’t mean much BUT if he’s the 3B, that makes Noelvi Marte a trade piece along with Jonathan India.  Gotta figure Elly De La Cruz would play SS and Matt McLain at 2B.  The Reds also have 2023 drafte and RHP Rhett Lowder to dangle.   Are the Reds setting up a trade for Cease?

This one is head-scratcher, unless as speculated the Reds are positioning for a trade.  To whom is the question,

-MIL needs INF talent, but would they trade within division?

-TAM always in asset accumulation mode, but they already have INF talent in place

-CWS seem like potential match if they prefer CIN INFs to Os OF/INF

Excited to see what the coming days bring.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I personally would have been willing to give E-Rod that contract.  And it seems likely, if we had been, he would have taken it.

I think this is a legitimate differing point for me from what Elias chose to do.

Elias wouldn’t have given him that contract even if JA allowed him too imo.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree, because he wouldn't have any money left over to do anything else.

Cut a guy, package a draft pick to pay for it.

I don’t think it has anything to do with other money.  I just think philosophically he doesn’t want to give out FA contracts over 3 years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think we know if his philosophy is mandated by financial constraints.

No we don’t but we know what the organization he came from does.

Maybe if the team sells and the owner lets him spend, maybe he will. I personally don’t think he will because he knows that FA is largely garbage, at least in terms of large long term contracts.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

That's your opinion, which doesn't seem to be shared by those that matter.  

I am having trouble following what you think has been said by whom about Povich.  

Povich has significant potential.  On the days when he has his command and his stuff is working, he’s a guy who can beat major league hitters IMO.   

His problem has been that he rarely looks like that pitcher two games in a row.  So is someone saying he has overcome that problem and therefore the Orioles won’t trade him?   Are they saying that the O’s want to give Povich more time to gain consistency?   Are they just saying that Povich is fine right now as he is?  And who is saying this, and where is it being reported?

I would not like for Povich to be traded, because the O’s are thin on upper-level pitching prospects and Povich does have potential if he can overcome his consistency issues.   But I don’t know if he will overcome them or not, and I wouldn’t say he’s untouchable.  

16 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

That's your opinion, which doesn't seem to be shared by those that matter.  

No offense, but if you’re getting your information from the “Povich camp” it seems that is going to put the most positive spin on Mr. Povich and his future.  

2 hours ago, Since1984 said:

As an example, ERod has 19+ bwar I. >1k mlb innings. Means has 9+ bwar <300 mlb IP. I would invest in Means potential next offseason for 80-100 $million, compared to ERod. 

The O's should extend Bradish or Gray Rod with the same money.  Means is a decent #3 pitcher, but the O's should save extensions for their best players.  Hopefully with a new owner, $150 million payrolls can happen but we just can't use the same methods large market teams do.

• Thanks 1