Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t strongly believe they should wait.  It’s somewhat risky but Cease has a track record of durability.   If Cease pitches like he did last year I think they’ll get about what they’re being offered now, not necessarily by the Orioles.   If he pitches like 2022, they’ll likely get more.   If he stinks or gets hurt they’re screwed.  I think the odds of the latter are comfortably, for me, under 50%.

Maybe it's smart for the Orioles and the White Sox to wait until the trading deadline if the White Sox want Mayo or Basallo to headline a deal. No way I'm trading one of them now for two years of Cease, but it the Orioles are one starter away come late July, perhaps Elias would consider giving up more. At some point the Orioles are going to need to go to plan B and then revisit plan A at the trade deadline if it makes sense. 

At the point we'll know who Cease is for sure and how valuable he is to the Orioles' World Series aspirations.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If you don’t add another legit starter, there will be a lot of pressure on Bradish and GRod to have 60+ starts.

Unfortunately injuries just happen.  Counting on the O's rotation to be as healthy as last year is a poor plan.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe it's smart for the Orioles and the White Sox to wait until the trading deadline if the White Sox want Mayo or Basallo to headline a deal. No way I'm trading one of them now for two years of Cease, but it the Orioles are one starter away come late July, perhaps Elias would consider giving up more. At some point the Orioles are going to need to go to plan B and then revisit plan A at the trade deadline if it makes sense. 

At the point we'll know who Cease is for sure and how valuable he is to the Orioles' World Series aspirations.

Tony, what do you see as viable planB?  The longer this plays out, the more that Wells/Hall/Irvin are looking like current plan of record.

2 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I’m really curious what the white Sox are asking for. Their GM can’t be that ignorant to ask for multiple top prospects from our pool. 

Based on reports, I would say something like Kjerstad/Cowser, Westburg, McDermott and Beavers

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Based on reports, I would say something like Kjerstad/Cowser, Westburg, McDermott and Beavers

That’s super steep in my opinion. I understand you have to give something you get something but I’d probably be upset if Elias pulls the trigger on that deal.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Say O! said:

Tony, what do you see as viable planB?  The longer this plays out, the more that Wells/Hall/Irvin are looking like current plan of record.

Ryu or Paxton seem like solid Plan B pitchers. With Wells/Irvin and to a lesser extent Zimmermann in the first half, and McDermott and Povich potentially at some point in time in 2024, the Orioles have enough depth to overcome their potential missed time due to injury.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That would be a little too steep of a price for me to pull the trigger. They get one of Kjerstad/Cowser/Westburg and then I'd give up the others.

57 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I’m really curious what the white Sox are asking for. Their GM can’t be that ignorant to ask for multiple top prospects from our pool. 

The White Sox organization is a mess so chances are they have been unreasonable with their trade demands. It's not like the Orioles are the only suitor bidding for Cease. I'm not big on Cease and would rather keep our prospects over making a big overpay for a pitcher coming off a down year.

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

I wish we could sign a reasonable priced FA pitcher instead of giving up multiple prospects!  If anyone thinks we have a glut of infielders, they could be converted to outfielders.

So we end up with a glut of outfielders instead?

Not sure how that is better.