Mariners Trade (proposed)

MarCakes21

Something I see occasionally talked about is a Mariners/Orioles ML talent trade.  I think this is where we'd want to be because:

1. It clears some playing time for our upper level ready pieces

2. It gives us ML pieces in return with controllable years

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/seattle-mariners-seen-strong-trade-fit-duo-orioles-veterans

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1760855/why-seattle-mariners-trade-fit-could-be-playoff-contending-orioles/

https://sodomojo.com/posts/the-mariners-should-look-to-the-orioles-as-a-potential-trade-partner-this-offseason-01hdhpf9pamv/2

Assume Logan Gilbert and George Kirby are off the table for our ML pieces (Santander/Hays/Mountcastle).  What offer would you put together for:

- Bryce Miller

- Bryan Woo

- Emerson Hancock

For me something like Miller/Woo for Santander/Hays + Fabian

or Hancock for Santander

Who bites?

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

The Mariners won't bite on that.  Top level pitching prospects will command much more that what you've offered.

Let me ask it this way, if you were the Mariner's GM, would you give up those pitchers for Santander and Fabian?

Would you hang up the phone and not call back?  They have Robbie Ray and Luis Castillo to go with Marco Gonzales already.  Plus Kirby/Gilbert/Miller/Woo/Hancock.  They need a MOO piece thats ready to compete now.

So what offer would you make if you were the Ms GM?

40 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Would you hang up the phone and not call back?  They have Robbie Ray and Luis Castillo to go with Marco Gonzales already.  Plus Kirby/Gilbert/Miller/Woo/Hancock.  They need a MOO piece thats ready to compete now.

So what offer would you make if you were the Ms GM?

Santander/Ortiz?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

We just don’t know what Seattle is looking for. Do they want established ML talent or do they want a ML ready prospect like Cowser, for example.

It would be pretty surprising if Seattle didn’t trade one of their pitchers for offense this offseason.

I'd be willing to trade from both out ML ready prospects, or our current ML talent.  Cowser/Kjerstad hold more value than Hays/Santander long term, and maybe even more straight up than Miller/Woo.  I would target Glibert if you were to give up one of those guys.

Pitching is just so expensive to buy and really you have to overpay above what the perceived value is.  That's why I think we're seeing Holt move into his new role, and we spent more draft capital on pitching last draft.  The three first round picks could really add to our inventory.  I don't see us making a big time splash move for pitching this offseason.  I think we'll roll with what we have, get someone like Gibson/Quintana, then look to add a  rental playoff SP at the trade deadline.  

Long story short... we'd have to really overpay with bats to land the type of pitchers that people throw around here. 

• Tony-OH changed the title to Mariners Trade (proposed)
16 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I think SEA would be interested in IF and OF upgrades.  But I think they want a degree of control too.  Any of the names mentioned are attainable, even Gilbert or Kirby.

I’d work with SEA more than targeting the Biebs.

This is where I am.

I'd prefer Gilbert/Kirby, I just think the ask would be more like Santander+Kjerstad+Norby, maybe more.  Which I think I'd still be okay with.

Assuming Ohtani LAD chalk happens, I could see it making sense for the Mariners to try for Soto, as SD maybe wants to shed payroll and needs Arms for Bats.    Roster Resource presently has Matt Waldron, Pedro Avila and Jay Groome in the Padres rotation.

For 2024 AL competition, would Soto be scarier on SEA or NYY?

28 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Assuming Ohtani LAD chalk happens, I could see it making sense for the Mariners to try for Soto, as SD maybe wants to shed payroll and needs Arms for Bats.    Roster Resource presently has Matt Waldron, Pedro Avila and Jay Groome in the Padres rotation.

For 2024 AL competition, would Soto be scarier on SEA or NYY?

Man, that makes complete sense for SEA and SDP.  SEA + Soto is scarier IMO.