New DBacks Ticket promotion

Sports Guy

Good luck with Scrooge McDuck running the team and I agree it's a good idea. John Angelos would likely turn it around as an excuse to not to sign free agents. "How can we sign high priced free agents when we give away season ticket plans for $300."

It would have to be limited to a certain amount sold and I assume the seats would be upper deck or bleachers. It's a good idea for fans on a budget who want to attend games.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Explain how a team makes money by doing this.  

Well currently, the Os aren’t even selling LFUR tickets. So, they make zero dollars every game for those tickets.

Now they could make $3-4 per ticket per game.  Plus those people likely buy some concessions. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Explain how a team makes money by doing this.  

Considering they averaged about 24k fans per game and this applies to the upper level only, with around 20k seats in a stadium that holds 48.5k, I suppose they are thinking 300 bucks plus concessions for every game is better than an empty seat all season long.

• Upvote 1

The question really is how many new sales are being generated or are you just trading what would have been a $20-30 ticket sale for a $4 sale.  This may be an effective marketing program for say KC or Oakland but I question why a contending team would discount their product so much.   

Edited by SemperFi

I’ve heard rumblings of $0 tickets for the new stadium on the strip in Vegas(or at least for a portion of the stadium).  Folks are moving more towards an “entertainment venue” where people can congregate and spend money (and bet) vs. the tradition ballpark where baseball fans went to watch baseball games.  

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well currently, the Os aren’t even selling LFUR tickets. So, they make zero dollars every game for those tickets.

Now they could make $3-4 per ticket per game.  Plus those people likely buy some concessions. 

It would make all the sense in the world to do this for the LFUR. 

1. Simple branding for the franchise.  If your stadium is packed, the brand optics improve.

2. In today’s world every human lives on social media.  If you get a few thousand extra butts in seats, that’s incredible free advertising.  Let’s say the average person have 300 followers.  If you get ~3000 people in the seats, you’re broadcasting your product to ~1MM people.  

7 hours ago, Malike said:

Considering they averaged about 24k fans per game and this applies to the upper level only, with around 20k seats in a stadium that holds 48.5k, I suppose they are thinking 300 bucks plus concessions for every game is better than an empty seat all season long.

I’d be worried about the people who otherwise would have bought more expensive tickets, but chose these instead.  I guess we’ll see how it plays out.  The DBacks are likely to have a good increase anyway due to their WS run and exciting young team, so it’ll be hard to separate out that effect vs. the ticket promotion from publicly available information.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d be worried about the people who otherwise would have bought more expensive tickets, but chose these instead.  I guess we’ll see how it plays out.  The DBacks are likely to have a good increase anyway due to their WS run and exciting young team, so it’ll be hard to separate out that effect vs. the ticket promotion from publicly available information.  

The DBacks will absolutely know how many of these packages sold and how that attendance compares to last years attendance in those sections.

What they won’t know is if they never offered this package, would those tickets have been bought anyway.

However,  chances are they are offering this package in an area/sections of the stadium that rarely sell, so the increase will be obvious.  You never know the effect on concessions for any of these things but you do know that the average family spends X amount of dollars, so you kind of base things off of that.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The DBacks will absolutely know how many of these packages sold and how that attendance compares to last years attendance in those sections.

What they won’t know is if they never offered this package, would those tickets have been bought anyway.

However,  chances are they are offering this package in an area/sections of the stadium that rarely sell, so the increase will be obvious.  You never know the effect on concessions for any of these things but you do know that the average family spends X amount of dollars, so you kind of base things off of that.

That’s why I said it will be hard to know “from publicly available information.”  I don’t doubt that the DBacks will know.  I’m talking about us.