Do the 2024 Orioles need to score more runs than the team did in 2023?

Jim'sKid26

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I have no problem with Urias and Mateo but I’d like to see Henderson, and two other young guys as the starters.   O’Hearn is going to have to earn playing time just like last year.

How much will he have to earn? My guess he is the opening day DH or 1B  and I would bet they give him a long leash because of last year. 

4 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

How much will he have to earn? My guess he is the opening day DH or 1B  and I would bet they give him a long leash because of last year. 

Unfortunately I think you’re correct about OHearn. Everything about how this team operates says he’s penciled in for one of the DH/1B spots in the lineup. They’ll keep Cowser and Kjerstad on the bench and/or in Norfolk. 

33 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Right now, I’d say you’re right but with Kjerstad, Cowser, and even Hilliard around those three are all threats to O’Hearn.  So, something could happen with Santander or O’Hearn, otherwise I don’t see how those guys can get serious AB’s with the current team construction.

If O’Hearn doesn’t hit, I don’t think the leash is that long.  He’ll start losing AB’s pretty quick as long as Kjerstad or Cowser is on the 26 man.

Edited by RZNJ

5 hours ago, now said:

Agree on characterizing Mateo and Urias (and Mounty and Hays for that matter) as experienced "depth" at this point. Disagree that having impact bats "at times" warrants much playing time, or that trading them is "horrible" or a "whim." On the contrary, I think it's prime time to trade them (tho not necessarily all 4) at their peak value for our greater need, pitching.

My comment was about losing their depth by dropping the players on a whim. As backup/utility players with a total of 2.6 bwar in 2023, you do not just drop veteran experience with good defense to play a bunch of rookie prospects. It’s a bad idea!

Edited by Since1984

2 hours ago, Since1984 said:

My comment was about losing their depth by dropping the players on a whim. As backup/utility players with a total of 2.6 bwar in 2023, you do not just drop veteran experience with good defense to play a bunch of rookie prospects. It’s a bad idea!

I think holding on to aging backups when you have ML ready prospects in the pipeline is a bad idea.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think holding on to aging backups when you have ML ready prospects in the pipeline is a bad idea.

Technically, Jackson Holliday is aging as we all are each day.   Urias is 29.  Mateo is 28.  I’d like nothing better to see Westburg and Ortiz in the starting infield to start the season.  In all likelihood Mayo and Holliday start in Norfolk.  I have no problem with Mateo and Urias on the bench in that scenario.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Technically, Jackson Holliday is aging as we all are each day.   Urias is 29.  Mateo is 28.  I’d like nothing better to see Westburg and Ortiz in the starting infield to start the season.  In all likelihood Mayo and Holliday start in Norfolk.  I have no problem with Mateo and Urias on the bench in that scenario.

Mateo or Urias on the bench.   Not both IMO.

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who is the main DH and the 4 man bench.  I know you predicted Ortiz at 3rd so I assume Gunnar at SS and Westburg at 2B.

DH - Adley, Mountcastle, O'Hearn. Gunnar or Santander when they need to get off their feet.  Kjerstad  at some point in the year.

Bench:  McCann, Mateo, Cowser.   The 4th could be Kjerstad or Hilliard or McKenna.    Depends on how Cowser looks defensively especially in center.

Edited by wildcard

11 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

We need a big reliable slugger against left handed pitching... especially with runners in scoring position.

We really don't. Kjerstad had a .333 AVG / .588 SLG against left handed pitching in the minors last season. Give him regular ABs and he's very likely to be our "big reliable slugger". Is there risk involved in banking on someone like him (i.e., limited MLB experience)? Of course, but Elias and ownership mad a conscious decision six years ago to rebuild the team from withink with a focus on young hitting prospects. And it would be foolish to abandon that strategy now given the early success of players like Rutschman and Henderson (i.e., it seems to be working). If anything the team should be trading offensive players away (to make room for the younger players) not adding them. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

DH - Adley, Mountcastle, O'Hearn. Gunnar or Santander when they need to get off their feet.

Bench:  McCann, Mateo, Cowser.   The 4th could be Kjerstad or Hilliard or McKenna.    Depends on how Cowser looks defensively especially in center.

I can’t see a bench with two of Cowser/Hilliard/Kjerstad AND O’Hearn being on the team.