Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The smallest of the small market teams give out pre arbitration extensions.  It’s a flat out lie to talk about it.

They aren’t doing because of Angelos..not because of the system. 

This is at least implying he was referring to extensions.  But ok, not directly.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What Angelos has said is that he couldn’t give out extensions of $160 - 200 mm.   You can debate whether he couid, but in any event he’s never said he couldn’t give out pre-Arb extensions regardless of size.   Nothing he’s said rules out a Chourios-sized extension, for example.  Not that I’m holding my breath.  

So far as I know, only 6 pre-Arb extensions in excess of $100 mm have been given out — Tatis, Franco, Rodriguez, Acuna, Carroll, Giminez.   Lots of teams haven’t done them.  But obviously teams like Tampa and Cleveland have decided these deals made financial sense for them.  

The only point being made is the only one that matters..acting like the system puts them at a disadvantage to sign these deals is a complete lie.  There is absolutely no defense of that comment.  It’s not true. It’s factually wrong on every level possible. 

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Confused 1

Mike Elias on possibly trading away prospects:

"It’s fun for us to be in a position where we can get into every trade conversation, but I also think the perception that we have too many prospects and we need to get rid of some of them -- that doesn’t register with me."

— Jacob Calvin Meyer (@jcalvinmeyer) December 5, 2023

Translation:  We have too many prospects and we need to get rid of some of them.
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What Angelos has said is that he couldn’t give out extensions of $160 - 200 mm.   You can debate whether he couid, but in any event he’s never said he couldn’t give out pre-Arb extensions regardless of size.   Nothing he’s said rules out a Chourios-sized extension, for example.  Not that I’m holding my breath.  

So far as I know, only 6 pre-Arb extensions in excess of $100 mm have been given out — Tatis, Franco, Rodriguez, Acuna, Carroll, Giminez.   Lots of teams haven’t done them.  But obviously teams like Tampa and Cleveland have decided these deals made financial sense for them.  

Royals supposedly talking to Bobby Witt Jr. about an extension  

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only point being made is the only one that matters..acting like the system puts them at a disadvantage to sign these deals is a complete lie.  There is absolutely his defense of that comment.  It’s not true. It’s factually wrong on every level possible. 

Of course the system puts them at a disadvantage to do these deals.  I don’t see how that’s even debatable.  Doesn’t mean they can’t do them, but it’s much easier for a big market team to do them. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Ok, that's what I was asking.  Did I miss something?  

Well, that's definitely  not anti-extension.

For the second time, I never said HE was anti extension. Never even insinuated it.

What I said is that this argument that it’s an “unfair system” is a lie. It’s a cover up for our awful owner.  It’s nothing more than that.

I just wish members if the media would actually call him out on it and ask why the smallest market teams are able to do it but not the Os.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

For the second time, I never said HE was anti extension. Never even insinuated it.

What I said is that this argument that it’s an “unfair system” is a lie. It’s a cover up for our awful owner.  It’s nothing more than that.

I just wish members if the media would actually call him out on it and ask why the smallest market teams are able to do it but not the Os.

Do what?

Sign extensions?  LOL.

Calm down bro.  I'm not trying to fight ya.