Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

Blurb from Andy Kostka's winter meetings article. Nothing new, but more direct confirmation of Cease interest. 

Two sources with knowledge of the Orioles’ offseason plans said the team is weighing its options in the trade market, with one of the sources noting that Baltimore is “active” in discussions for a starting pitcher. One such option, the source noted, is Chicago White Sox right-hander Dylan Cease; the Orioles held interest in Cease around the trade deadline and that interest has likely carried over into the offseason.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/orioles-winter-meetings-trade-market-starting-pitcher-FK3C7B3UKBEYHJ5R3EA5ASZKHI/

Edited by interloper

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Best AAA always makes me think of early 70's Rochester.     Bobby Grich and Don Baylor had to repeat in 1970-71 even though they were awesome because reserve clause and the MLB Orioles were an all-time great.     Grich 's Oriole career would be a dream outcome for Jackson Holliday; 1972-1976 fWAR sees him as having been MLB's 3rd most valuable Bat (Bench, Morgan).

Johnny Oates, Terry Crowley, Ray Miller and Dave Boswell all played for the '71 Red Wings.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=337a85a1

I remember being quite disappointed with Grich and Baylor’s first few years.  They didn’t show much power compared to what they had done in the minors.

It's weird to imagine Elias putting up decent trade offers and teams just balking continuously at them. Like... but why? I can't imagine we are drastically low-balling teams. These teams really think they can ask for Mayo and Kjerstad and Holliday like Elias would ever say yes to that. To me that's like asking for Gunnar or Adley or Grayson. It's just not happening. Meanwhile there are like 10 other perfectly great prospects you could have from the best farm system in the sport, many of them ready to be MLers right now. 

If we are low-balling teams, that's a real problem. Elias stated he wasn't going to simply get rid of players but he also stated he's put up offers featuring some of his best prospects. So... either teams are very stubborn, or his offers are like headlining with Norby or Stowers, which I find hard to believe. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I remember being quite disappointed with Grich and Baylor’s first few years.  They didn’t show much power compared to what they had done in the minors.

Grich is someone who looks WAY better by modern metrics than he did by the standard BA/HR/RBI criteria we all used back then.  

• Upvote 2