Fangraphs on Adley (and catchers generally) as a leadoff hitter

Frobby

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/its-time-for-adley-to-come-home-for-christmas/

This article tries to be clever, and has some interesting comps to previous situations where catchers have been used as leadoff hitters.  But in the end, it doesn’t really have any coherent conclusion and gets to caught up in trying to make a clever analogy to holiday movies.   

It's wild how much Fangraphs has slipped in recent years. 

Adley batted leadoff because Mullins couldn't hack it last season, and Hyde put the OBP guy at the top, which was a logical move. The Gunnar experiment worked a little better, but ultimately, it would be best if Mullins rediscovered his ability to get on base and hit lefties. 

As it stands, the team doesn't have a great option at leadoff, but it's not that big of a deal really. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/its-time-for-adley-to-come-home-for-christmas/

This article tries to be clever, and has some interesting comps to previous situations where catchers have been used as leadoff hitters.  But in the end, it doesn’t really have any coherent conclusion and gets to caught up in trying to make a clever analogy to holiday movies.   

Is Kiri Oler Kevin Brown's pen name?

image.thumb.png.205707782966570d675909ef6155947b.png

3 hours ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

My personal opinion is that Adley should hit 2nd. A true leadoff in the 3 true outcomes world that we are playing in, is difficult to find however.

Agreed.  A true leadoff man should have good OBP, and also be a big time worrier of pitchers due to his dancing around and an ever  present threat to steal.  Really get in the Pitchers head. This should increase Adleys RBI totals, also.

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

Agreed.  A true leadoff man should have good OBP, and also be a big time worrier of pitchers due to his dancing around and an ever  present threat to steal.  Really get in the Pitchers head. This should increase Adleys RBI totals, also.

Yep, that's what put Wade Boggs in the HoF, his dancing.

• Haha 1

I think Holliday will likely become the O's leadoff hitter once he adjusts to the majors.  He has great OBP (in minors of course), good baserunning and great plate discipline.  I would rather have Adley batting 2nd and Gunnar 3rd.  Let Adley focus on catching.  I don't want him takin extra wear and tear on the bases.