Elias: Holliday on OD roster is “definitely a strong possibility”

Sports Guy

i feel like I’ve said this 25 times in 25 different threads:

He’ll go to spring training.   He’ll compete with the other infielders and prospects.  If he clearly deserves to be on the big league club, he will be.   If it’s close, or he isn’t ready to be better than the other candidates, then he won’t be on the team to start the season.  It’s that simple.   And that’s completely consistent with what Elias has said.  And it makes total sense.  

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think it will be OD either but it’s foolish to ignore what Elias is saying, especially when you combine it with what he did with him in 2023. 

Elias hasn't said anything though. I agree, actions matter and Holliday is ahead of Gunnar's schedule. Adley and Gunnar both had over 100 games of AA/AAA. I agree, Holliday is ahead of the Gunnar pace, that is all we know.

12 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

For me it has little to do with Holiday, if he is ready or not, or how he performs in Spring training.  It's more about maximizing his value to the organization and ensuring we have him cheaply for as long as possible.  That's why I think we don't really see him until August.  I hope I'm wrong,  but that's what I'm expecting to see. 

I just don't think there's any way they'd have promoted him that quickly if they're thinking August to preserve rookie status. June to get the extra year, sure.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’ll go to spring training.   He’ll compete with the other infielders and prospects.  If he clearly deserves to be on the big league club, he will be.   If it’s close, or he isn’t ready to be better than the other candidates, then he won’t be on the team to start the season.  It’s that simple.   And that’s completely consistent with what Elias has said.  And it makes total sense.  

Yeah this is pretty much it. Elias has talked him up enough that if he looks like he should be starting on OD he has to be on the team. 

I would keep him down unless he absolutely dominates, because having that extra year of control is very valuable for a team that won’t extend anyone. 

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Elias hasn't said anything though. I agree, actions matter and Holliday is ahead of Gunnar's schedule. Adley and Gunnar both had over 100 games of AA/AAA. I agree, Holliday is ahead of the Gunnar pace, that is all we know.

He absolutely said something. He’s not exactly throwing cold water on things…and neither is Hyde.

16 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'll believe it once Urias/Mateo are traded or DFA'd

I like Urias, but Holliday's odds to make the opening day roster go up if some the infield talent in the organization is traded this winter. Westburg, Norby and Ortiz are also possibilities if Elias works out a trade for a pitcher like Cease. 

Something has to give with the infield talent there isn't enough bats available for everyone. Best case scenario is if Elias trades some of this excess talent to fill in other holes (pitching) on the team.

If Holliday had no chance to make the team Elias wouldn’t say it.  What I find surprising hear is that Elias isn’t mentioning the very limited numbers at AAA or needing perhaps more time at 2B but “he’s got a chance.  I wouldn’t put anything past him”.   To me that would be laying the P.R. groundwork for his eventual demotion at the end of March.   

I think the choice of words mean something.  Before, I thought he had a 5-10% chance if he tore the cover off the ball this spring and kind of forced their hand.  I’m up to 50%.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

While I don't want to say he's lying,  I just don't buy it.   I expect him to get the Gunnar treatment and still be a qualifying rookie next year.   I'll be shocked if he is on the OD roster.

Left handed infielder to complement the Roster. Last year it was Frazier with veteran plate discipline. Believe the odds are 50%+, especially considering a potential good trade.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He absolutely said something. He’s not exactly throwing cold water on things…and neither is Hyde.

Hm, I feel like we've heard "definitely strong possibility" language from Elias before about stuff that never happened.  Can't put a finger on specific examples though. All I get out of that is that it hasn't been ruled out, which I guess is something. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s also consistent with how Grayson was handled last year. 

And, I think, consistent with how Adley would have been handled the year before if not for his injury. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Wait until June…gain the extra year and likely don’t lose the year like you did Adley because it’s not which games played. 

That’s the best way to maximize his value.

100% agree. Before June is really expensive. Before the extra year of control would be reckless. People want to sign guys to extensions. Keep him down until June gives us 6.5 years of control. 

It’s also a strong rookie class next year. I don’t think he could pull an Adley and finish top 2.