Craig Kimbrel - Signing

E-D-D-I-E

Hope we aren't done but I like it. I like him better than Robertson and Chapman. Could not care less about his pre-windup thing, and if he annoys opposing batters even 1% as much as he annoys opposing fans I'd say it's a bonus. Probably wise to avoid 3+ years to Stephenson/Hicks even if that would have been my emotional preference. 

• Upvote 1

I'm ok with it.  Not overwhelmed with joy, but he improves the bullpen.

I was a little shocked to see he only throws two pitches:  FB and CB.  

Looks like he may have dabbled a bit with a sinker in the past.  I wonder if he'll be open to working on that or any other new pitch...

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the mental stress angle is way overplayed.

Every season we see multiple guys move into the closer role and do just fine.

The number that seemingly can't handle the stress is pretty small.

I don’t know how to pull specific data so I can only speculate, but I feel like great set up relievers don’t often translate to great closers. Cano is my most recent memory. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but the stress of the 9th seems to me to be an absolute real thing that some guys can’t overcome.

He'll be a save rack.  It kind of comes with gig.  Our last two closers have made the ASG.  I expect Kimbrel will as well.  

Wells can go back to the rotation.  So that solves that hole.  I'm not worried about Kimbrel.  He's a good option for 162.  I worry about the RH setup men.  Cano, Baumann, Baker, and Webb.  Webb and Baumann are out of options.  

I could still see us making some bullpen moves.  Maybe signing David Robertson.  Stephenson would be huge, but too expensive likely.  Rule 5 guy later today.   Waiver claims.  maybe a small trade.  Urias/Mateo for an RH RP?  The Japanese reliver that we would essentially be buying a reliever for $2 million a year that has options.  Options are valuable.  Fuji reunion?  Lopez on a milb deal?  Then we'll just have to see how we look at the deadline.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

One concern is Kimbrel gave up  10 home runs in 69 innings pitched last season. I don’t think Kimbrel will exclusively be the closer and will be used in the 7th and 8th innings depending on the game situation. 

Hope he’s helped by the Great Wall of Baltimore!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

I know they are going to play up his playoff, world series experience "rubbing off" on the rest of the pen, but I just don't buy that.

I just read a story citing him as part of the 2018 Red Sox champions, but looking at his results that October...not that great.

He's a lion in winter, and its a known known he'll wear out quicker in his late 30's.

Next 20 Saves, he'll go past Kenley*, Wagner, John Franco and K-Rod to climb from 8th to 4th all-time.

*Kenley leads by 3 and is still accruing on the Red Sox, but I'll venture the Orioles will generate enough extra opportunities for him to get by.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So that solves that hole.  I'm not worried about Kimbrel.  He's a good option for 162.  I worry about the RH setup men.  Cano, Baumann, Baker, and Webb.  Webb and Baumann are out of options.  

Don’t forget Tate.  He’s apparently fully healthy.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He'll be a save rack.  It kind of comes with gig.  Our last two closers have made the ASG.  I expect Kimbrel will as well.  

Wells can go back to the rotation.  So that solves that hole.  I'm not worried about Kimbrel.  He's a good option for 162.  I worry about the RH setup men.  Cano, Baumann, Baker, and Webb.  Webb and Baumann are out of options.  

I could still see us making some bullpen moves.  Maybe signing David Robertson.  Stephenson would be huge, but too expensive likely.  Rule 5 guy later today.   Waiver claims.  maybe a small trade.  Urias/Mateo for an RH RP?  The Japanese reliver that we would essentially be buying a reliever for $2 million a year that has options.  Options are valuable.  Fuji reunion?  Lopez on a milb deal?  Then we'll just have to see how we look at the deadline.  

Not sure about your Wells comment unless we sign another reliever.

Bradish
Means
Grayson
SP Acquisition
Kremer

Bullpen: Kimbrel, Cano, Hall, Coloumbe, Perez, Tate, Wells

Edited by interloper

I think this was always one of the more likely bullpen solutions. 

He'll start off as more or less the full time closer. If he does well, he could keep it for the full season. If he struggles, someone like Cano or Hall will take over. Then we say thanks for the year. 

This is the 2024 version of the Gibson signing. I don't think there will be a similar one for the rotation. 

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Upvote 2