Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

Just now, Pickles said:

I know about the guy, well in advance of these rumors.  Don't forget guys, I grew up in DC too.  I know how the town works.

I'm not trying to get too high and mighty here, belive it or not.

I'm just skeptical, and no, I don't believe ANY ownership change is automatically GOOD ownership change, as seems to be the default setting around here.

I am chomping at the bit for a new owner. This one gives me pause.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I know about the guy, well in advance of these rumors.  Don't forget guys, I grew up in DC too.  I know how the town works.

I'm not trying to get too high and mighty here, belive it or not.

I'm just skeptical, and no, I don't believe ANY ownership change is automatically GOOD ownership change, as seems to be the default setting around here.

Oooo ooo!  I grew up in DC, too!  I went to high school there!  

Tell me how the town works!  Are you going to lead with "follow the money"?  That's always a good line.

• Upvote 1

What seems more likely?

1. Rubenstein purchases the Orioles.

2. Angelos botches the negotiation , steps on his own shoelaces and trips and spills his peppermint latte all over his khakis, falls in a puddle and before he can get up, gets served a lawsuit by his own mother, or some sh*t like that. 

I find it funny that we all hate the guy for the same reasons but most of us assume he's not gonna totally screw this up. 

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Did I say his gross corruption happened over night, or is that putting words in my mouth?

You leapt from he started as a government lawyer to starting a VC to becoming a billionaire without really painting a timeline for anything, leading one to believe that you might have thought that he acquired his wealth quickly and somehow nefariously.  

You found his "arc" interesting but declined to say why.  

Here’s what I know about David Rubenstein: he’s been an extremely generous donor to causes in the Washington DC area, and he hosts a show on Bloomberg TV where he hosts discussions with various business, political and thought leaders.   He’s a serious intellectual.   He doesn’t need cash from a baseball team to live well.   

Here’s a link to his TV show for anyone interested in getting a feel for the guy.  
https://www.bloomberg.com/peer-to-peer

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Here’s what I know about David Rubenstein: he’s been an extremely generous donor to causes in the Washington DC, and he hosts a show on Bloomberg TV where he hosts discussions with various business, political and thought leaders.   He’s a serious intellectual.   He doesn’t need cash from a baseball team to live well.   

Here’s a link to his TV show for anyone interested in getting a feel for the guy.  
https://www.bloomberg.com/peer-to-peer

Seeing as he has a TV show on Bloomberg, do you think he just told Bloomberg about this and they published the story? Maybe to needle Angelos a little, cause a little pressure from the press? Probably not, but ya know. 

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Carlyle group is definitely sketchy, but I'd support a sale of the Orioles to Satan, Nazis, or Kim Jong Un if it meant getting them out of the hands of the Angelos'

If it results in a well run baseball franchise, then I don't need an owner who is an angel.

83793223-c09d-4e5b-a590-38ce7d9231ce_tex

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s