MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

On 2/7/2024 at 1:59 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

With so many teams extending their franchise players, this is good for baseball. It gives each franchise a real identity and allows for some interesting rivalries and match-ups around the league.

Pretty expensive deal, but the Astros may feel Altuve has earned the right to be overpaid for his decline years.  His first contract turned out to be a severe underpayment, and he’s even been worth his hefty second deal so far.

23 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I like Heasley's upside and have him making the pen on OD.  Could be a Cano surprise or wash out, but something in between is likeliest. I'd be happy with him just being solid.

He’d have to be dominant to make the OD bullpen.  I think he’s starter depth at Norfolk.  

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t take too much from that.  It doesn’t mean he hasn’t engaged in things and that things don’t change quickly.

That said, he also said this in his Burnes press conference and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to go into ST and see what he has before making any other moves.  Maybe there is something about a guy like Heasley that they love and think he could make a big leap?  

While not big moves, he did mention in that radio interview that moves could still be made during Spring Training. He used Coulombe as an example.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Martinez wouldn’t be a bad signing under most circumstances but the Os have too many guys that his signing would impact and I think those guys need that time up in the majors now.

Then why are we collectively still even talking about it? Everyone's certainly entitled to their own opinion, but a pet peeve of mine is when folks completely ignore whether or not a player would "actually" be a good fit for our team. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there's no room for another DH only player on this team. I also stand by my comment that Martinez is only marginal better than Santander. And when you factor in that one of them can actually play the field and other can't that probably bridges the gap between the two. Now if we were to trade Santander for a RP and sign Martinez as a repalcement that would be COMPLETELY different scenario. But as the roster is currently contructed Martinez makes zero sense for this team. ZERO. 

18 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

With Hall gone I could see them giving a minor league contract to one of those lefty relievers who have had moments of goodness in their career-- Amir Garrett, Brad Hand, Daniel Norris. Just to see if they can figure something out with them, and in case something goes wrong with Perez/Coulombe.

Garrett's a complete head case and I don't think he's a good enough pitcher to put up with his shenanagins. Hand seems washed and Norris just seems bad. I agree we could use another bullpen arm, but I really don't want to sign a guy just for the sake of signing someone. Hopefully someone emerges in camp or they can pull off a small trade. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's just silly though. Coming up with suggestions and trade ideas is fine, but at least look at from more than a cave man's perspective (i.e., "good player, must sign"). 

O'Hearn could be traded or flat out released with us only having to pick up 20% of his salary.  He's not a stumbling block if we want to sign JD Martinez.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

O'Hearn could be traded or flat out released with us only having to pick up 20% of his salary.  He's not a stumbling block if we want to sign JD Martinez.  

Those ABs need to (and should go to) Kjersted and Cowser. 

I want one more bat, just one more, wherever you want to put him in the lineup. I want a bat with experience. I want a bat that you can rely on. I would love a power bat, but it doesn't have to be. I just want one bat that pitchers consistently try to pitch around. I want a bat so when the offense gets streaky (as our current hitters do), it can provide stability. I want one bat in case we see regression or a sophomore slump (Gunnar and Westburg). I want one bat if our rookies struggle to adjust. I want one bat for when Hays, Mullins or Sandanter land on the IL. Just one more bat. 

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I want one more bat, just one more, wherever you want to put him in the lineup. I want a bat with experience. I want a bat that you can rely on. I would love a power bat, but it doesn't have to be. I just want one bat that pitchers consistently try to pitch around. I want a bat so when the offense gets streaky (as our current hitters do), it can provide stability. I want one bat in case we see regression or a sophomore slump (Gunnar and Westburg). I want one bat if our rookies struggle to adjust. I want one bat for when Hays, Mullins or Sandanter land on the IL. Just one more bat. 

If he wasn't so costly over the next 5 years, the guy I would love to see in the lineup would be Jose Ramirez.    He's a consistent hitter, would hit some dingers in Camden Yards and is a doubles machine.