MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

12 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think a reliable 30 year old lefty who's averaged 175 innings and a 121 ERA+ for the last three seasons, with solid playoff and AL East experience, actually makes sense as a pretty worthy investment.

That guy couldn't even complete 6 innings in a World Series game :)

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Our lineup did better against lefties than righties last year.  

1) that was last year.

2) we will likely be introducing more lefties into the fray this year and in the coming years.

If I’m a team in the East, I know this and figure that adding lefty starters could help neutralize the Os. 

23 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think a reliable 30 year old lefty who's averaged 175 innings and a 121 ERA+ for the last three seasons, with solid playoff and AL East experience, actually makes sense as a pretty worthy investment.

What's disappointing to me is we've periodically heard about the O's checking in on these high priced guys for the last two off-seasons, just in case their price for whatever reason might fall, and here we are almost certainly looking at that scenario right now. I'm sure the lack of movement by the O's is tied to any number of reasons, whether it's that they don't like him too much, the ownership transition situation, or they're just never going to invest multiple years in FA SPs.

I'd offer him a 3/90 deal and make him say no.    He'll still have time left to cash in more in 3 years.  He'll be playing for a competitive team and have a HUGE LF to work with.    I think he's another good veteran presence as well.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1) that was last year.

2) we will likely be introducing more lefties into the fray this year and in the coming years.

If I’m a team in the East, I know this and figure that adding lefty starters could help neutralize the Os. 

I’m just focused on this year right now.  Hays, Mountcastle, Westburg, Urias, Mateo, McCann are all right-handed, while Adley and Santander are switch hitters.  That seems like plenty of firepower vs. LHP.   

it will be interesting to see how our younger LHB handle lefties this year.  Kjerstad showed almost no R/L differential last year; we’ll see if that continues.   Gunnar had weak numbers but got better as the season progressed.  Cowser did better last year than in 2022.  Jackson was much stronger vs. RHP but very respectable vs. LHP.   So, jury’s still out on the longer term picture.  I certainly agree our lineup looks to trend more LHB over the long run.  Elias will need to kept an eye on that.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just focused on this year right now.  Hays, Mountcastle, Westburg, Urias, Mateo, McCann are all right-handed, while Adley and Santander are switch hitters.  That seems like plenty of firepower vs. LHP.   

it will be interesting to see how our younger LHB handle lefties this year.  Kjerstad showed almost no R/L differential last year; we’ll see if that continues.   Gunnar had weak numbers but got better as the season progressed.  Cowser did better last year than in 2022.  Jackson was much stronger vs. RHP but very respectable vs. LHP.   So, jury’s still out on the longer term picture.  I certainly agree our lineup looks to trend more LHB over the long run.  Elias will need to kept an eye on that.  

I think this will become something Elias address through short-medium term FA contracts. When some of the current OF/1b mix is gone, Norfolk isn't as bursting with prospects who deserve MLB time, and (maybe) the payroll budget is a bit higher. I could see the O's being in on some of the JD Martinezes and Jorge Solers and Matt Chapmans of 2025/6/7 to bring some RH power. 

18 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Not in the playoffs. Now introduce Kjer, Cowser and Holliday to the lineup.

What playoffs were you watching?

LHP: 13.1 IP, 16 H, 7 ER

RHP: 13.2 IP, 9 H. 3 ER

I hate the whole idea of drawing significant conclusions from a 3 game playoff series vs. a 162 game season anyway, but in this case the playoff results don’t support you conclusion at all.

• Upvote 3

Some day the Orioles will I trust be able to put runs on the board against John Means or Cole Irvin even if they don't have the platoon advantage as frequently as they did in 2023.

The decade won't be what many of us hope if Gunnar, Kjerstad, Cowser, Holliday and Basallo don't present big problems even to the world's best left handed pitchers.

Jordan Montgomery was an October 2023 hero not because of but despite his weak performance against the Orioles, who hit him and his trendy deathball around pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Here's a take from one LH Bat who like Colton Cowser had some platoon skew in their 2023 results.

Evan Carter believes there are no good lefties in the minors 

Despite what the media says — he pointed (respectfully) to the scrum with a chuckle — Carter believes his numbers against left-handed pitchers is something that will come with time and reps more than anything.

“Good lefties in the Minors don’t exist, they’re all in the big leagues,” he said, only partly joking.

… but he struggled against those minor league lefties with a .595 OPS.

A .243/.338/.257 slash line against lefties in 70 at-bats in the Minors

If he can’t hit bad lefties, how is he supposed to hit good ones?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

What's disappointing to me is we've periodically heard about the O's checking in on these high priced guys for the last two off-seasons, just in case their price for whatever reason might fall, and here we are almost certainly looking at that scenario right now. I'm sure the lack of movement by the O's is tied to any number of reasons, whether it's that they don't like him too much, the ownership transition situation, or they're just never going to invest multiple years in FA SPs.

The problem is Boras wants an Aaron Nola type contract for Montgomery, which is insanity. I understand your frustrating and disappointment, but it's hard to blame the Orioles when you're talking about a Boras client. 

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s a good sign if you aren’t signing him for 5+ years at 30+M a year.

I would take sign him for 3-4 years or something like 2/60 with an opt out after year one 1 but he’s not a break the bank, sign long term type guy. 

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would give Montgomery any more than the deal that Chris Bassitt signed last season + inflation. Other than the fact that Boras is bat sh*t crazy. 

The market should start moving anytime now.  It is like a starring contest right now to see who blinks.  The season is less then 5 weeks away who is gonna be the first to sign and will it actually lead to all the dominoes to fall or still going to be a slow drip.  

50 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The problem is Boras wants an Aaron Nola type contract for Montgomery, which is insanity. I understand your frustrating and disappointment, but it's hard to blame the Orioles when you're talking about a Boras client. 

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would give Montgomery any more than the deal that Chris Bassitt signed last season + inflation. Other than the fact that Boras is bat sh*t crazy. 

I wanted Bassitt last offseason, and they have some reasonable comps. I think the major differences are Bassitt (RHP) was 33 last offseason and Montgomery (LHP) is 30 now. I'd absolutely be looking for 5+ years if I were Montgomery.

If he wants Nola security (7/$172m) then yes, there's no argument to be made here. I haven't heard that; most projections I've seen are around 5/$100m-$125m. I think that's still within reason, given Bassitt secured 3/$63m at 33 years old.

Edited by ThisIsBirdland