MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You’re feeling very generous this morning.

He made 8.25 last year. It’s actually a reduction in annual salary. He was productive last year, and considering what SP has been getting on AAV basis, it’s not unreasonable. 

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

Buster being Buster or a schrill for Boras.

I don't think Buster is a Boras mouthpiece.  I think what he says makes a lot of sense.   One of those arms on a Bellinger-style contract would be a great fit for this team right now.

24 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I mean, I guess I understand why he’s seeking it, but it would need to be something like 2/16ish for me to consider it. 

We would probably have to give him 2/16 with $14 million deferred between 2025-2039. 😂. I don’t see JA handing O’s fans money out of his pocket as he leaves. 

40 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Clearly this man has no idea who Albert Suarez is. 

Also the "hoarding cash" part implies that the team has a vault somewhere that's labeled "2024-2029 payroll" and they just throw all the profits in there, ready to take out and spend on free agents. The much more likely case is that the profits are used or distributed to the ownership group as they come in.  There is no $500m account ready to fund future signings beyond this year's revenues. Unless someone can find me strong evidence to the contrary I'll continue to believe that the 2024 Orioles' payroll ceiling is based on the projected revenues of the 2024 Orioles.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He made 8.25 last year. It’s actually a reduction in annual salary. He was productive last year, and considering what SP has been getting on AAV basis, it’s not unreasonable. 

No one is paying him anything close to what he wants. At this point, why give him multiple guaranteed years?  What leverage does he have to warrant that?

Id offer him like 1/5 with incentives that could push the number up closer to 10M. Put a mutual option on the contract for 10M in 2025.

If he doesn’t like that, he can go pound sand and watch the season from his couch.

54 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Clearly this man has no idea who Albert Suarez is. 

Buster being Buster.  Always thinking with a buyers mindset and trolling teams who don't spend.  JA isn't.   Rubinstein isn't approved yet. 

But the market reality is that plenty of teams that are poised to contend (SEA, ARI, CIN) are not adding significant payroll.  Baseball revenues are in a season of change.  Things will look different,  at least in the short-term. 

Has any reporter looked at that angle yet?

I don't know if we have a War Chest, and it could be true that new ownership might be willing to spend a little money... more money, perhaps than JA.  Yet, I don't really think the actual passage of owenrship would be the necessary starting line for spending.  If the club really wanted someone, certainly a clause could be added that would reimburse the old ownership for the expenditure.  It wouldn't even surprise me if some such agreement already existed as operations don't just stop in an enterprise that is going through a sale.

Signing anyone like Snell of Mongomery is either going to take them getting what they want, which is a long term, big money deal or them and their agent resolving to roll the dice on an incentive laden one-two-year opt-out contract.  I don't think they are at the gambling state yet.  We still have the Yankers and BoSux that will throw money at players like the Dodgers have.

Altho, I'd love to entice one of those two to gamble with a nice one year incentivised contract knowing we have two starters that won't be in the rotation come opening day.

Nobody really knows what the Orioles current budget is or “should be.” But there’s plenty of reason to think they should be able to spend more on this year’s team than they are currently, regardless of the profits that have already been extracted during the rebuild years. 

From a baseball perspective the stars really have aligned for the Orioles to sign one of Snell or Montgomery to one of these 3 year deals with opt outs after each year. It will not constrain them in the future as their core starts going through arbitration and they want to retain/extend them. And from the perspective of the players, Snell and Montgomery should want to come to Baltimore. Being LHP with the wall and a good team it checks all the boxes for a short term destination to try to re-enter free agency. 

The Orioles clearly have a need for another SP and every other team with that need is up against luxury tax considerations that should actually allow the Orioles to offer a competitive deal on par with what the big market teams would offer. 

If Snell/Montgomery land the 5+ year deal they’ve been looking for then you can’t really fault the Orioles. But the Orioles should be in on them if they are considering short term deals, and there’s every reason to think they could land one if they are actually willing to expand the payroll further. 

• Upvote 2

Lorenzen could battle with Wells for a rotation spot with the loser going to the pen as one of our top RH set up men behind Cano.  Dave Robertson seemingly signs for 8-10 million a year to be a set up man.  So even if we give Lorenzen that, it's not an overpay if he ends up in the pen.  Again... It comes down to do we even need him, do we prefer having guys with options in the bullpen, and would JA actually take money out of his pockets before he leaves town?  Probably 1% chance of having.  It would be a nice signing though.  Even if to just ease the pressure off of Kimbrel and Cano.