MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

24 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

If/when Cease gets traded to another team I'll start to assume they won't be making any moves. I still think that's too logical of a move and that it will ultimately happen. Luzardo, Skubal, etc feel too expensive.

It won’t be Luzardo but I think they end up with a Marlins starter if they don’t get Cease, which I don’t think they will.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its looking more and more like Michael Lorenzen if they can get him on a one year deal with as option.

I think I'd rather just go with Cole Irvin. He's pitched more innings in a year (twice!) than Lorenzen ever has. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its looking more and more like Michael Lorenzen if they can get him on a one year deal with as option.

This would be horrific.  Much better off giving the ball to Hall and signing a guy like Stephenson for the pen.

Edited by Sports Guy

FA starters don't seem to be in the cards. So it looks like the trade route. Seems like the primary dance partners want outfielders. We have infielders. 

In the grand scheme of things I think we could be better than we were last year (for starting pitching) by standing pat. The young arms are a year older and wiser, and some combination of Irvin, Wells, Hall, is probably as good or better than what we'd trade for.

We still need to thin the herd of infielders though. So trade them (or those they supplant preferably) for mid-high minors arms and bolster the 2025 season while getting a look at infield alignments.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly, Irvin was supposed to be a pretty good option to eat innings. When we traded for him he had just pitched back-to-back seasons of 180 innings at a very solid ERA and FIP. 

The fact that he fell off early last year was kind of a surprise. He righted the ship late though, so maybe we're discounting him as an option more than we should. 

Irvin not pitching well to start the season was not surprise to me.  I predicted it.  He pitch well at home in the big Oakland park but not on the road.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Irvin not pitching well to start the season was not surprise to me.  I predicted it.  He pitch well at home in the big Oakland park but not on the road.

OPaCY doesn’t play much different than Oakland’s park anymore.

And Irvin struggled because his command was an issue…it had nothing to do with anything else but that.

He is a command/control guy.  When those are off, he will struggle.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Let's take a closer look.

4/2 @ Boston - 4 IP, 6 ER
4/8 in Baltimore - 4.2 IP, 3 ER
4/13 in Oakland - 4 IP, 6 ER

At this point, when he couldn't even have success in his old ballpark, he got optioned. Though I agree with SG that it was just about his command. 

He was back up making both starts and relief appearances June through August. He got his ERA down from 10.38 to 4.42 by the end of the year, pitching to a 3.79 ERA over 64.1 IP. Of the games he started during this time, he only pitched less than 5 innings one time. 

I'm talking myself into Cole Irvin. I think he got off to a rough start and then figured it out. If he's a guy than can regularly go 5-6 innings and pitch to a 4 ERA, that would pretty huge for us. 

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

FA starters don't seem to be in the cards. So it looks like the trade route. Seems like the primary dance partners want outfielders. We have infielders. 

In the grand scheme of things I think we could be better than we were last year (for starting pitching) by standing pat. The young arms are a year older and wiser, and some combination of Irvin, Wells, Hall, is probably as good or better than what we'd trade for.

We still need to thin the herd of infielders though. So trade them (or those they supplant preferably) for mid-high minors arms and bolster the 2025 season while getting a look at infield alignments.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

We have infielders and outfielders for trade.   We have 3 outfielders.  Then we have Cowser, Kjerstad, and Beavers.  Then we drafted Bradfield and Horvath + last year.   There’s no reason we can’t make a deal unless the other team is trying to hold us up.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

OPaCY doesn’t play much different than Oakland’s park anymore.

And Irvin struggled because his command was an issue…it had nothing to do with anything else but that.

He is a command/control guy.  When those are off, he will struggle.

It's also worth noting that after his three bad starts in April, Irvin pitched to a 3.20 ERA while holding batters to a .241/.293/.395/.688 slash line over his next 64.2 IP that included 9 starts. Irvin actually was underutilized a bit last year in my opinion. For some reason he did not have much command when the season started but once he found it, he was fine. My bet is he'd be ok in a 5th starter role here in 2024, though I'd like to see better options up front that would send him to long relief.     

Just now, Tony-OH said:

It's also worth noting that after his three bad starts in April, Irvin pitched to a 3.20 ERA while holding batters to a .241/.293/.395/.688 slash line over his next 64.2 IP that included 9 starts. Irvin actually was underutilized a bit last year in my opinion. For some reason he did not have much command when the season started but once he found it, he was fine. My bet is he'd be ok in a 5th starter role here in 2024, though I'd like to see better options up front that would send him to long relief.     

Agree with all of this. I actually forget about him when talking about things and part of the reason for that is that I also feel they’re underutilized him last year. 

He is tremendous depth for us to have imo. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Let's take a closer look.

4/2 @ Boston - 4 IP, 6 ER
4/8 in Baltimore - 4.2 IP, 3 ER
4/13 in Oakland - 4 IP, 6 ER

At this point, when he couldn't even have success in his old ballpark, he got optioned. Though I agree with SG that it was just about his command. 

He was back up making both starts and relief appearances June through August. He got his ERA down from 10.38 to 4.42 by the end of the year, pitching to a 3.79 ERA over 64.1 IP. Of the games he started during this time, he only pitched less than 5 innings one time. 

I'm talking myself into Cole Irvin. I think he got off to a rough start and then figured it out. If he's a guy than can regularly go 5-6 innings and pitch to a 4 ERA, that would pretty huge for us. 

I never saw the stuff from Irvin that would give me confidence in him moving forward despite the better results in the 2nd half.  Maybe he’d surprise me.  Does he have one plus pitch?