Baseball America Dynasty Rankings (catcher)

RZNJ

On 12/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, RZNJ said:

I assume this is a fantasy baseball thing.  Basallo is the first minor leaguer listed.  Top 50.

1. Rutschman

9. Basallo (Ethan Salas is #15)

50. Creed Willems

The BA podcast (dynasty/fantasy focused) has pretty high praise for Basallo's bat.  "Creeping into the top 15 overall at some point next year" which, for fantasy, speed/SBs heavily influences the ranking too.  They questioned if he'd stick at C (mostly because of Adley) with the goal of just getting the bat in the lineup.

One of the guys randomly/naively guessed (no clue what to label this) Basallo could be moved to LF and 3B in addition to DH and 1B.    

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2023 at 4:25 PM, btdart20 said:

The BA podcast (dynasty/fantasy focused) has pretty high praise for Basallo's bat.  "Creeping into the top 15 overall at some point next year" which, for fantasy, speed/SBs heavily influences the ranking too.  They questioned if he'd stick at C (mostly because of Adley) with the goal of just getting the bat in the lineup.

One of the guys randomly/naively guessed (no clue what to label this) Basallo could be moved to LF and 3B in addition to DH and 1B.    

What an odd combo of positions he choose. Basallo moves well for a huge man but you have to imagine that's going to slow down as he gets into low to mid-20s. He certainly has the arm to play 3B, but if they're going to try him in the outfield, it will certainly by RF, not LF. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What an off combo of positions he choose. Basallo moves well for a huge man but you have to imagine that's going to slow down as he gets into low to mid-20s. He certainly has the arm to play 3B, but if they're going to try him in the outfield, it will certainly by RF, not LF. 

Agreed.  I think it's due to just scouting the stat line vs. having any direct knowledge.  

I tend to agree with the narrative that they'll find a spot for his bat.  Whatever defensive delays he may/may not have (not saying he has anything major), isn't stopping his progress as a hitter.

I didn't put it in my original comment, but they chatted about Basallo as a potential trade candidate too.  So take whatever they have to say with a "national"-level grain of salt.  Clearly many degrees of separation away from the team vs. your insights!

Basallo more so than Adley poses the question is the Bat too promising to tax with catching?

I hope Adley finds another gear offensively, but seeing 2 years (of service time, at least) the sky doesn't feel like the limit like it used to.

It might not be until James McCann is 40 something and Samuel Basallo is in his late 20's Basallo's "better defensively today".

The 2024 PECOTAs released regard Basallo as the best 19 year old Bat period by their favorite blended offensive metric.