My Ten Favorite Games of 2023 (vote for your favorite)

Frobby

Which was your favorite win of 2023? (Read summaries in the post below)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite win of 2023?

• March 30, 10-9 win at Boston
    • May 20, 6-5 win at Toronto
    • June 24, 6-4 win vs. Seattle
    • July 2, 2-1 win vs. Minnesota
    • July 6, 14-1 win at New York
    • July 20, 4-3 win at Tampa
    • July 28, 1-0 win vs/ New York
    • August 13, 5-3 win at Seattle
    • September 17, 5-4 win vs. Tampa
    • September 28, 2-0 win vs. Boston

These are ten other games that I considered for my top 10 list but decided to leave off.   Most years these might have been top 10 material, but not in 2023 (for me)!

April 13, 8-7 win vs. Oakland: This was the Orioles’ first walk-off win of the season.   They’a allowed a 7-4 lead to Oakland to slip away in the the middle innings, but with the game tied entering the bottom of the 9th, Adley Rutchman led of the inning with a walk-off solo shot to send the fans home happy.

April 21, 2-1 win vs. Detroit: The O’s let a 1-0 lead get away in the top of the 9th when Felix Bautista gave up a rare run.   But the O’s won in the bottom half of the frame when, with runners on 1st and 3rd, Adam Frazier hit a grounder that the 1B couldn’t handle cleanly, as Ryan Mountcastle scored the winning run

April 23, 2-1 win vs. Detroit: In a battle of the Rodriguezes, Grayson battled hard for 5 innings, allowing no runs despite giving up 5 hits and 3 walks.  Meanwhile, Eduardo was throwing a no-hitter into the 7th, finally yielding a 2-out single to Ryan Mountcastle.  The Tigers broke through for a run in the 8th, but the O’s matched it on an RBI single by Santander in the bottom of the frame.   Felix Bautista pitched a scoreless 9th and 10th, escaping a bases loaded situation that included a runner advancing to 3B with one out, an intentional walk, a strikeout, and another intentional walk before escaping the inning on a pop-up.  In the bottom of the 10th, Terrin Vavra sacrificed Adam Frazier to 3B, and with Jorge Mateo at the plate, Tiger’s reliever Mason Englert bounced a pitch that caromed off catcher Jake Rogers, and Frazier alertly dashed home with the winning run for, the O’s third walk-off win in April and their second in the Tigers series.

July 5, 6-3 win at New York: The O’s had lost the first two games of this series, and were in danger of losing their series-winning streak.  And, they had lost 6 of the previous 7, so the O’s were reeling.  The Yankees got out to a 2-0 lead in the 5th, but the O’s stormed back with 4 in the top of the 6th, scored 2 more in the 9th, and prevailed 6-3.  This game proved to be a big turning point, as the O’s ripped off 8 wins in a row starting with this win.

July 22, 6-5 win at Tampa:  A July 21 loss had put the O’s back into a virtual tie with Tampa after the O’s had taken a one-game lead the day before, so the division lead was up for grabs again in this game.  The O’s had a 5-0 lead in the game but the Rays chipped away and tied it in the 8th.  But the O’s struck back in the 9th on an Adam Frazier single, a sac bunt by James McCann, and an RBI single by Ryan O’Hearn.  Felix Bautista pitched a 1-2-3 bottom of the 9th, striking out the final two batters and earning the save, putting the O’s back into sole possession of 1st place, a position they held for all but one day the remainder of the season.

August 20, 12-1 win at Oakland: This lopsided win against a poor opponent is noteworthy as Gunnar Henderson’s coming out party, in which he came up in the 8th inning needing a single to hit for the cycle, but legged a ground smash into the corner into a double instead.   This game made a big statement about not only Gunnar’s talent, but his hard-nosed attitude.

September 5, 5-4 win at LA Angels: The O’s were trailing this one 3-2 in the 9th, but got RBI singles from Ryan O’Hearn and Ryan Mountcastle to take a 4-3 lead.  The Angels answered with a tying run in the bottom of the 9th.  The O’s eked out the go-ahead run on two ground balls in the top of the 10th.   Fuji came in and allowed a deep fly ball that sent the ghost runner to 3B with only one out, but Fuji struck out the last two batters to preserve a 5-4 win.  

September 16, 8-0 win vs Tampa Bay: The O’s came into this game having lost four in a row for only the second time all season, including two losses to Tampa Bay that had put the two teams into a virtual tie, with the season serries still on the line as well.  Grayson Rodriguez responded with perhaps his best game of the year, an 8 inning 5-hit shutout, while the Orioles bombed Tyler Glasnow.  This win stopped the losing streak, put the O’s back into sole possession of first place, and sewed up the season series with the Rays, assuring that the O’s would win any tiebreakers.

September 18, 8-7 win at Houston: The O’s came from behind three times against the defending World Champs, losing 1-0 in the 3rd , 4-3 in the 7th, and 7-5 in the 9th.  The game-winner was a 3-run homer by Cedric Mullins with one out in the 9th, converting a 7-5 deficit to an 8-7 lead.   The O’s almost blew the game in the bottom of the 9th when Ramon Urias made a wild throw on a very routine grounder to shallow 3B, allowing the leadoff hitter to advance to 2B.  The runner advanced to 3B on a deep fly out, but Cionel Perez got the next batter on a grounder to 2B that couldn’t advance the runner, and Yennier Cano came in to strike out Chas McCormick and end the game.

September 23, 2-1 win at Cleveland: The O’s came into this game riding a three-game losing streak and the bullpen was absolutely on fumes after covering a ton of innings over the previous several games.   John Means, pitching only his third game after being activated following TJ surgery, answered the bell by throwing 7.1 innings of one-hit ball, the hit being a solo homer.  Bu that time, Anthony Santander had knocked in two runs with a 1st inning double and a 6th inning single.   Yennier Cano and Cionel Perez combined for the final five outs without allowing a baserunner, and the O’s hung on for the 2-1 win.

So how'd I do?   Would you have put any of these in your top 10?   Did you have other favorite games that I missed?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May 25th against the yankees. Down 5-1 starting the 7th. Scored 8 runs in the inning. I was at the game in NY. The Yankee fans sround me went from raucous to silent to bitching about cashman and the lousy bullpen. Was wearing my Brooksie jersey and got a ton of high fives from other O's fans on the way out amidst the stunned crowd exiting. It was glorious 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, psagawa said:

May 25th against the yankees. Down 5-1 starting the 7th. Scored 8 runs in the inning. I was at the game in NY. The Yankee fans sround me went from raucous to silent to bitching about cashman and the lousy bullpen. Was wearing my Brooksie jersey and got a ton of high fives from other O's fans on the way out amidst the stunned crowd exiting. It was glorious 

That's a really good one.  Needless to say, I didn't look at 101 box scores, I mostly judged them off the final score and my memory of certain games (that I then looked up).   So I'm sure I missed some other games where we came back from multiple runs down in the later innings.  And of course, it's always extra sweet when it's against the Yankees.   This might have been a top 10 game for me if I'd remembered it when doing the list.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Two games that didn't make the top 20 that were notable to me:

• Cedric hitting for the cycle vs the Pirates
  • Ryan Mountcastle's 9 RBI game

I was at both of them, in really great club seats for the Pirate game.

I was at the Mountcastle game.  That was a fun one for sure.

26 minutes ago, psagawa said:

Yeah, I’d definitely put that one as my #2. Finally beating Cortes, after he had dominated us up until that point, felt really nice. I’d only put April 13th above that one because I was there, it was my dad’s birthday, and it was the last game we got to go to with my uncle before he passed in October. 

10 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

September 16 is mine. Because I went and also because I believe they would’ve pulled into a tie with us if they had won. Instead we blew them out on a stellar game by GrayRod and then won the Sunday game to clinch a playoff berth. It was fantastic. 

The Rays actually would have been ahead of us by a game if they had won that one.