What about Mayo?

RZNJ

28 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Mayo isn’t going to develop his 3B defense by playing 1B in the majors.

Mayo isn’t going to be a third baseman in the majors.  Not that he can’t do it but it’s not happening in Baltimore.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo isn’t going to be a third baseman in the majors.  Not that he can’t do it but it’s not happening in Baltimore.

He will play at least 50 games at 3B in the majors this season

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The only ways that will happen is if there is an injury or one of Westburg or Holliday really struggles.  They aren’t going to relegate Westburg to a part time player.  

I guess I should also say that it could happen early on if Mayo makes the OD roster and Holliday is sent down and doesn’t come up until June.

I don’t think any of those scenarios is particularly likely.

Edited by Sports Guy

21 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

How can you say he won't play 3B in the majors when a majority of his playing time is at 3B in ST? The FO thinks he's going to play 3B, otherwise, why keep playing him at 3B?

O'Hearn is on this team at least all of this year. Mountcastle isn't going any where either.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/ryan-o-hearn-a-leader-for-orioles-in-2024-season

How does he play third base?

Are they benching Holliday (or not bringing him up), Westburg or Gunnar?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Now that your making predictions, I want to know who will win MVP and Cy Young in each League and ROY for good measure.  I like to get my winners in early for good odds.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Now that your making predictions, I want to know who will win MVP and Cy Young in each League and ROY for good measure.  I like to get my winners in early for good odds.

Ha. I took Mayo a couple weeks ago at 75/1.

Unfortunately, we aren't trending in the right direction, even thought the odds have moved down to 35/1.

I think Evan Carter and Holliday odds are too low at 3/1.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo could in theory get ~60 games at 3B each year from the ~20 games that each of Gunnar, Holliday and Westburg are DHing or getting the day off. Gunnar played in 150 games last year with 11 at DH.

That won’t happen while Urías is around, though. 

I agree there’s no way for Mayo to be a full time 3B with those other 3 players unless Westburg is playing OF though, and they’ve shown no indication at all that they want to do that (nor should they, at least at this point). 

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Mayo could in theory get ~60 games at 3B each year from the ~20 games that each of Gunnar, Holliday and Westburg are DHing or getting the day off. Gunnar played in 150 games last year with 11 at DH.

I agree there’s no way for Mayo to be a full time 3B with those other 3 players unless Westburg is playing OF though, and they’ve shown no indication at all that they want to do that (nor should they, at least at this point). 

I think Urias needs to be traded and O'Hearn needs to have his at bats cut.  Seems like its still a stretch.  Westburg becomes utility player? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The same way he plays 1B. Some players need to move on. My point is, you're saying he's blocked by 1B. How, when the FO seems not to be seriously considering him at 1B?

We're in agreement that someone or a couple someones need to be off the roster for him to get playing time.

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I'm surprised they have not given him any reps in the OF.  They gave him a handful of games(8) in the minors and then seemingly cut the experiment.  It would be nice if he could play RF at home v. tough left handers and LF on the road at parks, like Fenway, against tough lefties as well.  I think Westburg will play 2B, 3B, and a little bit of SS.  Would be great if he could mix in some OF as well so that Mayo can work his way into the lineup at 3B, 1B, & DH as much as possible.  I agree with sports guy that O'Hearn (mostly) et al are the main ones blocking him.   But, with Urias off the roster some more 3B ABs will open up as well.  

Maybe they already think Basallo's the more promising LF/RF type and are already steering Mayo to 1B.

I know some are all-in on Westburg as an everyday player, but I think I'd guess as is he gets more like 1500 than 2500 PA the next 4 seasons.

Zobrist is familiar to Hyde and the Cubs, but Marwin Gonzalez was the swiss army knife the Astros had when our execs were there.

2014-2018 Marwin Gonzalez on B-Ref looks to me like Jordan Westburg's future here.    I think most would agree with his mindset and athleticism he could be a better outfielder than Ryan O'Hearn or Adam Frazier in about 3 weeks if the Club goes to Mayo at 3B.

I think Elias valuing his guys (and the Orioles training of them) is trying to hold all of Westburg-Kjerstad-Cowser for the coming season's rosters, but he depth managed to acquire a top Ace at the Joey Ortiz-DL Hall level, and I think he considers those guys above that.     Norby, Beavers, Povich/McDermott and the bubbling up Latin guys give plenty for this summer.

3 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Yes, I could see that in the future but that isn’t the set up now because of the existing vet bats.