Is anyone upset that a team just shelled out $1 billion???

DocJJ

I'm somewhat surprised that there hasn't been more outrage over this.  A championship caliber team just added the best hitter and best pitcher available for $1 billion.  Yes, I know that is no guarantee of a World Series title....   

I never harbored any hope that the Orioles would be in on expensive free agents of that magnitude.  But this has gone from ridiculous to outright insanity.  MLB is all smiles as the big market teams will do well and generate revenues for MLB.  MLB does not care at all about parity, competitive spirit, even competition, ticket prices that fans have to pay, and MLB certainly does not care about any teams outside of NY, California, or Texas.  

Greed is ruining this sport entirely. Greed among the owners and among the players.  It's becoming almost impossible to enjoy the game at this point...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Whenever I see a big money team lay out huge dollars for a player, I just hope it doesn’t work out and that it makes it harder for them to make moves in the future.   I do not expect to see the system change significantly any time in the next decade or more, so I see no reason to bang my head against the wall about it.  At least it makes it all the more satisfying when the O’s do have success.

• Upvote 2

Great question.....despite the seemingly minimal outrage, if this had been the Yankees buying up those players like that, you'd better bet there would be outrage on here.  

In fact, it's been said in this forum several times as long as these guys aren't being signed in the AL East, most really don't care.  

• Like 1

You lose cred by including Texas in your rant.  The only reason they are included is because the Rangers spent like crazy and it worked out for them.  Other teams have tried the same approach (Padres, Phillies, Mets) and it didn't quite work.    It all depends on ownership.  Even the O's in 90's and Nats during their run spent near the top. 

Also, in the last 10 years there have been 9 different champions.  I think MLB is quite happy with that.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

How many more games do you think we win next year with Ohtani and Yamamoto on the roster?

Depends who is hurt or off the roster. Can't compare 2023 with 2024 unless everyone is healthy IMO. Are we a better team with them, yep. Should we spend that kind of money, not on Ohtani at $700M. But we could use a top 2-3 starter or two for sure and those guys cost a lot. Sooner or later we will need to go all in and we haven't shown the willingness to do that except for Chris Davis and we were all in against ourselves on that one.

It certainly helps to win more games than not over a 162 game schedule with a huge payroll, but if the playoffs have taught us anything, it's that anything can happen once you get into 3, 5 or 7 game series. 

It bothered me more when the orioles were so far behind everyone else with development and use of analytics, but now, I kind of shrug my shoulders. The Angels had Ohtani and Mike Trout for cripes sake and hw did that turn out for them? 

Sure, we can point to the Rangers and how they bought their way to a Championship last year, but that was the Rangers first World Series ever. 

The numbers that @Moose Milligan pointed to really explains it all. Despite having no salary cap, baseball remains the most competitive for World Championships amongst the top sports in this country. 

Now, will it hurt when Gunnar Henderson or Jackson Holliday are one day playing for the Dodgers for a billion dollars? Sure. But hopefully Elias will continue to find their next versions or the Orioles will be bought be someone willing to spend to keep their stars. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It certainly helps to win more games than not over a 162 game schedule with a huge payroll, but if the playoffs have taught us anything, it's that anything can happen once you get into 3, 5 or 7 game series. 

It bothered me more when the orioles were so far behind everyone else with development and use of analytics, but now, I kind of shrug my shoulders. The Angels had Ohtani and Mike Trout for cripes sake and hw did that turn out for them? 

Sure, we can point to the Rangers and how they bought their way to a Championship last year, but that was the Rangers first World Series ever. 

The numbers that @Moose Milligan pointed to really explains it all. Despite having no salary cap, baseball remains the most competitive for World Championships amongst the top sports in this country. 

Now, will it hurt when Gunnar Henderson or Jackson Holliday are one day playing for the Dodgers for a billion dollars? Sure. But hopefully Elias will continue to find their next versions or the Orioles will be bought be someone willing to spend to keep their stars. 

Even with the Rangers, IMO, they still built their team the right way.  Evan Carter and Josh Jung are future stars.  They went out and purchase Seager and Semien but they also had some good young talent to add those guys to.