Mateo Noise

Roll Tide

One of the individuals in that Pitcher-Batter matchup was eligible to play the 45 and up division!

Due to B-Ref and Winter Ball both being amazing, it is just a few clicks to see Chris Ellis is his teammate right now, and Jorge's .350 batting average leads the team.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

One of the individuals in that Pitcher-Batter matchup was eligible to play the 45 and up division!

Due to B-Ref and Winter Ball both being amazing, it is just a few clicks to see Chris Ellis is his teammate right now, and Jorge's .350 batting average leads the team.

Mateo is super valuable if he can hit .250+ with consistency. Obviously he needs to get some walks as well to get his OBP above .325-.330

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Mateo is super valuable if he can hit .250+ with consistency. Obviously he needs to get some walks as well to get his OBP above .325-.330

His career spread between BA and OBP is 50 points.  I wouldn't expect him to put up a 250/325 line.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Two straight seasons of Mateo hitting .220ish with a .267 OBP and you think he can hit .250+ with a .325-.330 OBP after watching one winter ball highlight? Good luck trying to peddle that snake oil to potential trade partners. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Two straight seasons of Mateo hitting .220ish with a .267 OBP and you think he can hit .250+ with a .325-.330 OBP after watching one winter ball highlight? Good luck trying to peddle that snake oil to potential trade partners. 

I’m not holding my breath…. Just saying he’d be really valuable. 

Not buying into any Mateo hype ever again.   Yes,  IF he could consistently hit,  he'd be a weapon.  That's also true for 100s of other players who don't make it because they CANT HIT!  Mateo has proven he can get blazing hot for a short period of time,  then completely suck for the rest of the year.   If I was the GM the VERY first thing I'd do before trading for Cease, signing Adley or Gunnar to an extension, or promoting Holiday to the MLB roster would be to trade or cut Mateo.  I don't want him on the roster next year, no matter how good he looks in a 30 second clip.   I'm over him. 

Mateo's value at this point is that he can play multiple positions, most importantly shortstop, has elite speed, and can occasionally get into a ball. I hold out no hope that he will ever be a consistent hitter, but I do think he's a decent utility guy. 

• Upvote 3