Mateo Noise

Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Hyde only gave him 30 starts in the second half of the season last year. Once Gunnar became the everyday SS basically Mateo became the utility guy. Barring injury, I think that will be his role in 2024. 

I know.   And that's still too many starts.  With that bat he shouldn't start more than once a week, or about 26 starts ALL year, if that.   No way should he get 60 starts a year,  or roughly starting a 1/3rd of our games (roughly the 30 a half equivalent)

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

100% he should be available if that type of deal comes up, but I have hard time thinking any team out there would look at him as an everyday starter at any position any more. He's hit his way out of that thinking.

The only thing that I think that could make a team believe he’s a starting shortstop is the lack of available SS in free agency. 

I was hoping they would trade him last year when he started off hot and was hitting .350ish with a handful of home runs in late April/early May. But obviously they didn't and he fell off and was back to batting .220something probably by the end of May.

If he could be serviceable in CF, that's huge. Also, despite his shortcomings offensively, he is absolutely a weapon on the bases. 

Edited by CP0861

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Add McCann of course. Ortiz is our OD SS at the moment. 

IMO The defense will be stronger with Gunner at 3B and Ortiz at SS. Urias should be a Utility INF.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar is a better SS than Ortiz. 

This is debatable.  I don’t think anyone really knows but I do think it’s a lot closer than some people think.  

On 1/7/2024 at 9:42 AM, HakunaSakata said:

The problem is if Mateo is on the team I think Hyde is going to play him more than 20% of the time. So while he still might be a valuable utility player cutting or trading him seems like it would be a greater good type of move to me. 

Any plan that is based on the the logic that the lines of communication in the organization are so poor that a GM has to not have a guy on the team so that a manager won't use that player in a way that isn't desired... is ridiculous.   If that is really a problem, the correct solution is for the GM and manager to get on the same page.

I know sometimes people say this stuff to be funny.

But I assume that the way Hyde uses players is the way the organization wants them to be used.   If it isn't, we have a dysfunctional organization, and given that we have won 184 game the past two years, I don't think that is the case.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mateo learned to catch in the offseason?!

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is debatable.  I don’t think anyone really knows but I do think it’s a lot closer than some people think.  

Mayo: I think that depends on what the Orioles have personnel-wise. I have zero questions about his ability to play shortstop in the big leagues. But there's a chance there will be someone at shortstop, which would push Henderson to third. Long-term from a prospect standpoint, Joey Ortiz (new on our Top 100) is a superior defender, so having him at short and Henderson at third would make for a very, very good left side of the O's infield.

I believe they have this right! I believe Gunner is a Plus defender at SS but a Plus Plus at 3B, and Ortiz is a Plus Plus defender at SS.

https://www.mlb.com/news/roundtable-what-makes-gunnar-henderson-the-top-prospect

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I believe they have this right! I believe Gunner is a Plus defender at SS but a Plus Plus at 3B, and Ortiz is a Plus Plus defender at SS.

https://www.mlb.com/news/roundtable-what-makes-gunnar-henderson-the-top-prospect

Yeah, that’s from January 2023.    Maybe Henderson changed a few opinions last year.   I’ve seen Ortiz play SS on milb.tv and he looks great but I haven’t seen enough to say he’s significantly better than Henderson.  Ortiz isn’t a hot dog but he’s got some pizazz to his defensive game but when it comes down to range and making the plays I’m not sure there’s an edge there.

Also, I believe that if the team thinks Joey Ortiz is a double plus SS and a level above Henderson then he’ll be our OD SS.  That would be fine by me but my guess is that doesn’t happen.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1