Will Ryan O'Hearn be traded?

wildcard

Mountcastle should only be a platoon bat at this point. If you keep him, then you need a LHH at 1B/DH. And I think most people would agree Kjerstad is more than that role.

But if you trade him (which makes sense as a major league piece along with prospects to a retooling team like the Marlins or Brewers)  and move Santander to 1B or have Mayo take over, I don’t think O’Hearn has a role in this team.

I would be more inclined to trade Mountcastle. Mayo should be coming soon. If choosing between Mountcastle and O'Hearn for DH/bench bat, I'd rather have another LHB. That being said, O'Hearn would be a sneaky guy to flip if a team is willing to overpay. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People just don't like O'Hearn and Hicks becasue they aren't homegrown.  Same with Urias and Mateo.  I respect everyone, but more so the posters that actually admit that.  After the years of losing we've gone through, I just want to win.  

Do you actually have anything to back that claim up?

I think the actual reason those pieces aren't really gushed over here is because they simply aren't all that important to our chances in 2024. They're complimentary guys that can be replaced pretty easily.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Do you actually have anything to back that claim up?

I think the actual reason those pieces aren't really gushed over here is because they simply aren't all that important to our chances in 2024. They're complimentary guys that can be replaced pretty easily.

Well we agree they're complimentary guys.  Or role players/bench players as I would call them.  Which is exactly why you want a "prospect" sitting on the bench.  You want them playing everyday.  If that's not here then it should be in AAA.   

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People just don't like O'Hearn and Hicks becasue they aren't homegrown.  Same with Urias and Mateo.  I respect everyone, but more so the posters that actually admit that.  After the years of losing we've gone through, I just want to win.  

I hardly care if they are homegrown or not.  I care if they are good.  I loved Alomar, Palmerio and Tejada, none who were homegrown.  But just because they slap an Os uniform on doesn't mean they are good either.  I don't like O'Hearn because prior to this year he wasn't a good player, and I think it's more likely he regresses to his 'normal', as it appeared he was doing towards the end of the season, than him being the impact player he was.  Mateo can't hit water if he falls out of a boat and Urias took some real steps backwards last year.  I'm ready to move on from both of them.  Being homegrown certainly help me support a guy a bit more, but it's a very minor thing.  

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I hardly care if they are homegrown or not.  I care if they are good.  I loved Alomar, Palmerio and Tejada, none who were homegrown.  But just because they slap an Os uniform on doesn't mean they are good either.  I don't like O'Hearn because prior to this year he wasn't a good player, and I think it's more likely he regresses to his 'normal', as it appeared he was doing towards the end of the season, than him being the impact player he was.  Mateo can't hit water if he falls out of a boat and Urias took some real steps backwards last year.  I'm ready to move on from both of them.  Being homegrown certainly help me support a guy a bit more, but it's a very minor thing.  

His "normal" self prior to this season involved hitting against a shift.  Sometimes it feels like the shift has been banned longer than just last year to me as well.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His "normal" self prior to this season involved hitting against a shift.  Sometimes it feels like the shift has been banned longer than just last year to me as well.  

Did the league see a big change overall due to the elimination of the shift?

Not really.

I don't think that was the cause of his resurgence.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

While that is true, the shift wasn't on the last couple months of the year when he hit a downward turn.  OPS by month.  May - .937, June .867, July .893, August - .710, Sept/Oct - .724.  Was his great May/June/July the 'real' Ryan O'Hearn, or did the real one simply reappear in August and that's what we can expect going forward?  Only time will tell, but I expect to see more of the August guy than the May one.  I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.  Why do you think he should only be used in a platoon?

What do you mean by "at this point"?

His OPS vs RHP has declined each season  and currently sits 100 points below his career ops against LHP

4 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

His OPS vs RHP has declined each season  and currently sits 100 points below his career ops against LHP

In 2022 his OPS was higher versus RHP than LHP.

In 2021 his OPS was higher versus LHP than RHP.

in 2020 his OPS was higher versus RHP than LHP.

If his struggles against RHP continue into this season you think about it.  I don't think this is "that point".

Guys have one year surges and struggles every year.