O’s acquire …Tyler Nevin

StillanOfan

27.6% of games last year were started by LHP. 

The Orioles use McCann as C with Adley as DH against LHP quite often - that was their default lineup against LHP last year.

There’s no need for Nevin to be a RH 1B/DH who starts ~5-10% of games, where Adley catches or gets a full day off against LHP, and sometimes pinch hits for O’Hearn. 

They’re much better off using that spot on Cowser, Kjerstad or even Hilliard, who can actually play the OF and be a LH bat that starts in some sizable chunk of the ~75% games started by RHP by giving days off for any of Hays, Mountcastle, O’Hearn, Santander and Mullins. 

I’ll concede Holliday may start in the minors, and McKenna may make the team because they want a RH CF backup / defensive replacement. I’ll even concede they may want Hilliard or Stowers on the bench over Cowser or Kjerstad if they prefer the prospects playing every day, although I think that would be a mistake and one of Cowser/Kjerstad can get enough playing time that one should be in the majors. 

But in no scenario with all of their players healthy does it make sense for Tyler Nevin to be on the Opening Day roster, outside of something wacky like they’re facing a bunch of LHP early on and they plan to DFA him after that stretch. 

I think all of McKenna, Hilliard and Nevin are on the 40-man roster because they have the space and to serve as depth in case of injuries before opening day, but as of right now they’re otherwise planning to DFA them in the end of Spring Training cutdowns and hopefully get them through to AAA on Opening Day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In thinking about this I think McKenna beats out Hilliard. Hilliard is redundant. He was insurance if we traded Cowser or Kjerstad. Now if there is an injury to Hays, Mullins, or Santa, we’d call up Cowser. If there was an injury to Mounty or O’Hean, then we’d call up Kjerstad. 

Hilliard is redundant. McKenna wins out because he’s a RHH and can play CF. It’s clear cut. 

Nevin starts somewhere versus LH SP. When he does start it makes sense to start him in the field to at least give a regular the DH spot. Whether that’s RF with Santa DH’ing, or 1B with Monty DH’ing. Nevin could also start at 3B over Urias since Urias doesn’t have good numbers versus LHP. 

It’s just my two cents… but I think Nevin and McKenna both make the OD roster. They’re RH role players along with the other bench spots. McCann and Mateo. 

Other than Gunnar… we can trot out all RHH vs LH SP. 

Matchups baby. 

I think Kjerstad is making the roster. If Cowser makes it, then McKenna makes sense as the defensive backup. If not, then it could be Hilliard.

The infield is a little RH heavy with Urias and Westburg starters and Mateo on the bench, but Nevin doesn't help with that. Vavra could be the sneaky choice for a LHB infielder while we are waiting for Holliday.

I would put the over/under on Nevin's Orioles ABs this season at 0.5. I don't think he's making the team at any point unless a particularly bad set of injuries strike the other 1b options. 

Last year Urias and Santander each started 7 games at 1b. Down at AAA, Mayo started at 1b 19 times and Kjerstad started at 1b 22 times. I think all of these plans might be higher than Nevin on the 1b depth chart. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s not even on the non-roster invitee list.  

That’s because he’s on the 40 man roster. He’s not non-roster he’s “roster”.

I don’t have some Nevin fetish. He’s just the Hicks replacement. Notice those moves went down around the same time. I think we chose Nevin. More versatility and more willing to be a purely vs LH matchup player. 

Also, I’m all for trading O’Hearn to open up a starting spot for Cowser or Kjerstad on OD. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

38 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I would put the over/under on Nevin's Orioles ABs this season at 0.5. I don't think he's making the team at any point unless a particularly bad set of injuries strike the other 1b options. 

Last year Urias and Santander each started 7 games at 1b. Down at AAA, Mayo started at 1b 19 times and Kjerstad started at 1b 22 times. I think all of these plans might be higher than Nevin on the 1b depth chart. 

I agree. He's a guy to help fill out the AAA lineup and keep that team competitive. I think Elias likes guys getting used to winning there. Nevin is the epitome of a AAAA player. He's a very good AAA player and a guy that doesn't fit on most big league rosters for any extended period of time. 

I would hope all the guys you mentioned would be ahead of Nevin on the depth chart. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That's why everyone is freaking out. He seems like a minor league contract guy but we paid cash for him.

We do this every year. He's just a waiver claim in the form of a cash trade. Extra ST body. DFA'd at the end of camp or possibly before if we find another waiver claim or trade acquisition we like better.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

That's why everyone is freaking out. He seems like a minor league contract guy but we paid cash for him.

Definitely no reason to be upset about acquiring Nevin. Nevin, Hilliard and McKenna are all worth having now as depth in case of spring training injury, and all are worth paying their ~$800k MLB salaries if they accept an assignment to AAA. 

My feelings will range from slightly irked (McKenna), to disagreement (Hilliard) to absolutely befuddled (Nevin) if any are on the Opening Day roster and getting actual MLB action if everyone is healthy. 

If the Orioles were actually interested in bringing back Hicks as reported, that could mean they prefer Cowser/Kjerstad in AAA. Wrong move IMO but I think that improves the chances that McKenna, Hilliard or Stowers makes the Opening Day roster much more than it does for Nevin.