1/28 poll: will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts?

Frobby

Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?

• Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than our 5th starter options
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than our fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will trade for a pitcher who won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will sign a free agent starter but he won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • No, they won’t acquire a starter who makes 20+ starts

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/29/24 at 17:22

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s fair to blame Angelos on the money portion, unless Elias sold Angelos on a pitcher at a certain number and amount of years. Then the pitcher got way more which in turn ruined the plan. It’s my general thought that Elias planned to trade for a starter. But, he knew the cost of Cease at the deadline. Why would he put all of his eggs in that basket.

I truly believe his “inability” to make a trade is based on his belief that his players are better than those being offered and prefers to stick with the players they hand picked and developed.  We will find out soon enough if that is arrogance or sound evaluation skills.  

• Upvote 2

This thread is already like a scene from "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest", so I'll add my two cents...

Did not expect or want to see them add a FA starter, unless they were a last minute bargain.

Did not expect or want to see them trade for a starter that is overpriced because the team is flush with position playing prospects.

Would prefer that they roll with some combo of Irvin, Wells, Hall at 5... and trade their most immediate prospect surplus (and/or the MLB players supplanted by their promotion) for a higher class of mid-minors arms.

• Like 1

My vote went to “trade for someone better than our 5th starter options”

But that is based on hope not on evidence. 
And the simple thought that taking from an area of surplus (infielders) and trading for an area that seems to less layers of depth pitchers) is a good way to improve an already good team. 

9 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Kremer Is our #3? this board continues to go to sleep on John Means

It’s a bit of a toss up, but Kremer threw 15+ more innings last year than Means ever has, and is likely to throw a lot more innings than Means in 2024.  Means may have the lower ERA — we’ll see — but innings also factor in to who’s considered the no. 3.  

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The last choice is the one that has the best odds.

It has better odds because there’s 6 “yes” answers and only one “no.”   But do you honk there’s less than a 50% chance that we acquire a starter who makes 20+ starts.  

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

He’s gonna bring someone in.  He likes building depth.  I don’t think it will be anyone that makes this site happy but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t bring in a #5 that pushes Hall & Wells to the pen. 

Oh he may do that but no guarantee that pitcher also gives them 20 starts. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It has better odds because there’s 6 “yes” answers and only one “no.”   But do you honk there’s less than a 50% chance that we acquire a starter who makes 20+ starts.  

Yes I do…I think they acquire a less likely guy to eat innings than Gibson..because that’s really all that’s left to sign and I think he’s too afraid to make a major trade.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes I do…I think they acquire a less likely guy to eat innings than Gibson..because that’s really all that’s left to sign and I think he’s too afraid to make a major trade.

There’s a difference between acquiring a pitcher less likely to eat innings than Gibson, and acquiring one who’s unlikely to make 20 starts.  Gibson eats a ton of innings.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a difference between acquiring a pitcher less likely to eat innings than Gibson, and acquiring one who’s unlikely to make 20 starts.  Gibson eats a ton of innings.   

For the purposes of that comment and this question, I’m just grouping those 2 things  together. For example, Lorenzen has 1 year of over 20 starts.  Ryu has had injury issues.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

For the purposes of that comment and this question, I’m just grouping those 2 things  together. For example, Lorenzen has 1 year of over 20 starts.  Ryu has had injury issues.  

I give Ryu a >50% chance to make 20 starts, and a <10% chance to throw as many innings as Gibson.  But I understand what you’re saying.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I give Ryu a >50% chance to make 20 starts, and a <10% chance to throw as many innings as Gibson.  But I understand what you’re saying.  

To me, if you are betting odds, you take the under on 20 starts.  Taking out 2020, he has less than 20 starts in 3 of the last 5 years and he has 17 starts total the last 2 years. 

I wouldn’t trust him to be durable and available.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have not seen anyone say that Lorenzen is a #3.    I have him as a 2nd half of the season #5.  That could be 15 starts.   I have Means being on the IL for 6 weeks.   Lorenzen could start those 7 games.   That's 22 starts depending on when Means is out.

If Means gets injured I'd rather just pick up someone at the deadline. Signing a guy to maybe be our number five does not seem like aa good use of resources.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s fair to blame Angelos on the money portion, unless Elias sold Angelos on a pitcher at a certain number and amount of years. Then the pitcher got way more which in turn ruined the plan. It’s my general thought that Elias planned to trade for a starter. But, he knew the cost of Cease at the deadline. Why would he put all of his eggs in that basket.

We don’t know that he is. 

At this point any difference-maker is going to have come through trade so that is where my vote went.  Ideally Means and Kremer should be in the 4 and 5 slots.  Obvously Cease remains a good fit, but I'm hoping that Elias is working on other possibilities that currently aren't generating any rumors.