Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

17 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Great trade!  We lose Ortiz (6 years), Hall (4 or 5 years) and #34 in the draft (for his 6 seasons).  Sometimes those picks turn into Gunner (#44 in '19) but sometimes not, and typically not nearly as good as Gunnar is.  Time will tell how this works out, but adding an outstanding veteran ToR feels SO good!  Again, great trade. 😃

The Orioles just moved that pick into 2025.  This is Ortiz/Hall for Burnes.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I guarantee you, that every guy on the 26-man roster is ecstatic over this acquisition, well 25 now, Hall is probably not thrilled.

It's going to be bittersweet for a few. Their friends are off to another team.

6 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

I wonder what impact the O’s analytics can have on Burnes 2024 season. Verlander got the spin rate feedback that took his game to a new level. The Brewere are probably better than the Tigers were during that trade, but I am curious about pitch usage or what a slight tweak might do!

Someone already mentioned a slider/curve pitched only 18% by Burnes in ‘23 being his most effective.

Will follow Ortiz and Hall and wish them the best!

Yes, especially playing for a team like the Brewers I’ll be rooting for Ortiz to be an all-star SS and Hall to be a lights out reliever.  Not sure I can root for Hall to be the next Sandy Koufax.  Lol

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

The Orioles just moved that pick into 2025.  This is Ortiz/Hall for Burnes.

No.

A pick next draft is more valuable than a pick the draft after.

Also the 2024 pick is a lock, the 2025 pick is just a strong probability.

Of course the idea that the O's are a lock to get six years of ML service time out that pick is pretty amusing in its own right.

Just now, spleen1015 said:

It's going to be bittersweet for a few. Their friends are off to another team.

They all know the business, though. Burnes is a big talent add to this team and they all want to win.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Guy we didn't have room for in the infield.

Guy we didn't have room for in the rotation.

Pick that we will get right back next year.

True, but Hall looked like a really good high leverage bullpen arm in September and October.   Great trade but the back of the bullpen feels vulnerable right now.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I might as well go on record that I don’t love this trade, unless we have a real chance to extend him. I do get it though.

I love this trade.

When I first saw Hall and Ortiz headline I said to myself, heck that's cheap.  I'd have given up the Comp pick as well.

This has a good chance of strengthening the 2024 team while not significantly weakening the team in the following seasons.

• Upvote 2