All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

Don’t understand why the O’s keep entertaining the idea of keeping Mckenna around when you have Cowser Stowers and Kjerstad in the wings for a spot on the Roster…we already know McKenna can’t hit……

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Probably, though Santander played it pretty well in his 12 games (7 starts) there last year.  My impression is that Mayo is more capable there than Kjerstad.  

I think I trust O'Hearn's 70 games/519 innings at 1B in 2023 a lot more than Santander's 12 games/72 innings. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I think I trust O'Hearn's 70 games/519 innings at 1B in 2023 a lot more than Santander's 12 games/72 innings. 

Perhaps.  But I also trust O'Hearns career .714 OPS over the .801 he was last year or the .867 he was in the first half before falling to .756 in the 2nd.   Point is O'Hearn does not have the track record to justify inking him in at 1st, not when we have some young talent that could fill that position and those at bats.   I think too many feel we unlocked him last year,  and I am not convinced we did. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Perhaps.  But I also trust O'Hearns career .714 OPS over the .801 he was last year or the .867 he was in the first half before falling to .756 in the 2nd.   Point is O'Hearn does not have the track record to justify inking him in at 1st, not when we have some young talent that could fill that position and those at bats.   I think too many feel we unlocked him last year,  and I am not convinced we did. 

We’re going to find out.  

2 hours ago, Joep said:

Don’t understand why the O’s keep entertaining the idea of keeping Mckenna around when you have Cowser Stowers and Kjerstad in the wings for a spot on the Roster…we already know McKenna can’t hit……

Only advantage is that you can let McKenna rot on the bench for long stretches. That said I want the younger prospects on the team, but that is one benefit to having a fourth outfielder like McKenna. 

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

It was said around here within the last few days. The changes to the shift rules benefitted O'Hearn last year. They've gotta run it back to see if it sticks.

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It was said around here within the last few days. The changes to the shift rules benefitted O'Hearn last year. They've gotta run it back to see if it sticks.

While that might be partly true, the shift doesn't explain why he had the .867 OPS in the first half and only .756 in the 2nd half.  Shift wasn't altered or changed midseason.  

I love the O'Hearn story.  If we honestly unlocked his full potential and he can perform like he did for the first half last year that would be a great benefit to the Os.  But I'm not going to really count on it, and I think too many folks are.  

• Upvote 1

While that might be partly true, the shift doesn't explain why he had the .867 OPS in the first half and only .756 in the 2nd half.  Shift wasn't altered or changed midseason.  

I love the O'Hearn story.  If we honestly unlocked his full potential and he can perform like he did for the first half last year that would be a great benefit to the Os.  But I'm not going to really count on it, and I think too many folks are.  

The only people I'm worried about counting on O'Hearn are Elias and Hyde. I'm resigned to the idea that he's going to get at least a month to prove last year wasn't a fluke, but I hope the leash is short. 

Can you point out the folks here on the board who are counting on an .867 OPS from Ryan O’Hearn?    I don’t think I’ve seen one poster say that.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can you point out the folks here on the board who are counting on an .867 OPS from Ryan O’Hearn?    I don’t think I’ve seen one poster say that.

Well, if they are putting him down for considerable playing time, I sure hope they aren't doing so by counting on his career .714 OPS to carry the day...

11 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Well, if they are putting him down for considerable playing time, I sure hope they aren't doing so by counting on his career .714 OPS to carry the day...

Are we talking about “too many folks” or the Orioles?    I think the Orioles are hoping for the .750- .800 version.  Would be happy with anything more and disappointed with anything less.  As far as counting on him, if he  becomes the sub .700 version he runs the risk of diminished playing time or being replaced by Kjerstad, Mayo, or whoever.   The great thing about depth and no star contacts is that it makes it easier to move on.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Are we talking about “too many folks” or the Orioles?    I think the Orioles are hoping for the .750- .800 version.  Would be happy with anything more and disappointed with anything less.  As far as counting on him, if he  becomes the sub .700 version he runs the risk of diminished playing time or being replaced by Kjerstad, Mayo, or whoever.   The great thing about depth and no star contacts is that it makes it easier to move on.

Well, both I suppose.  If the Os didn't think he was going to produce I suppose they would have moved on from him.  At the same time when we discuss using Kjerstad or Mayo or someone else who is blocked or needs a place to play given a shot at 1st base it's quickly pointed out that 1st base is currently full with O'Hearn and Mountcastle.  I'm just not sure that we didn't see the best couple of months that O'Hearn will ever hit and if so then replacing him with someone that has more potential could be an important step to a successful year for the Os. 

It's just a funny dynamic around here at times.  Some want to hold on to EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that contributed a bit to our magical season last year (partially understandable of course) while others want to boot everyone with more than 3 years of service time and start a rookie at every position.  🙂  Fun to watch!

31 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Well, both I suppose.  If the Os didn't think he was going to produce I suppose they would have moved on from him.  At the same time when we discuss using Kjerstad or Mayo or someone else who is blocked or needs a place to play given a shot at 1st base it's quickly pointed out that 1st base is currently full with O'Hearn and Mountcastle.  I'm just not sure that we didn't see the best couple of months that O'Hearn will ever hit and if so then replacing him with someone that has more potential could be an important step to a successful year for the Os. 

It's just a funny dynamic around here at times.  Some want to hold on to EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that contributed a bit to our magical season last year (partially understandable of course) while others want to boot everyone with more than 3 years of service time and start a rookie at every position.  🙂  Fun to watch!

I still don’t get what “folks” around here that you are talking about.  I haven’t seen one poster express the opinion that O’Hearn will repeat last year.  It seems like 100% are skeptical that he will.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I still don’t get what “folks” around here that you are talking about.  I haven’t seen one poster express the opinion that O’Hearn will repeat last year.  It seems like 100% are skeptical that he will.

I'm skeptical O'Hearn will repeat his offensive production. I'm pretty confident he's the best backup 1B defensively among all of the players mentioned. 

Edited by Jagwar