Kranitz has a "sleeper" for the rotation?

Frobby

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like an earlier poster said, Kranitz was on Scott & Anita's show last week and was asked the question about a sleeper and his answer was Baez.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a good thing? I'd rather see Penn and Liz establish themselves in the bullpen than be thrown into a starting role. Heck, if Baez is any good, we might even be able to trade him at the deadline. I'm not holding my breath, but we might be able to save a few mil on the guy at least. I'm rooting for it to be him.

Baez isn't even good for 1-2 innings at a time. How could we expect to consistently get 5 decent innings out of him?

Like the others aren't similar question marks

At least he has some big league experience. I don't hate the idea but I'd rather develop some young guys.

I doubt it is Liz. If he is starting, it will be at AAA.

Ah, that interpretation makes more sense.

Just like an earlier poster said, Kranitz was on Scott & Anita's show last week and was asked the question about a sleeper and his answer was Baez.

And that, the most of all.

Maybe not a bad thing, either: remember, some pitchers (Bedard, Ray?) come back better than before after TJ surgery.

I know this was a lifetime ago, but Baez' career numbers as a starter are better than almost anyone projects for any of the #4/#5 candidates in camp:

I Split          G   GS  GF  W   L   S   CG SHO   IP     ERA    H    R   ER   HR  BB  IBB  SO  HBP+-+------------+----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+------+------+----+----+----+---+----+---+----+---+  as Starter     26  26   0   9  10   0   1   0  154     4.44  151   78   76  13   75   4  121   8

For example, PECOTA has Hennessey, Patton, and Waters with ERAs well over 6.00. Hendrickson with a 5.27. CHONE has Pauley with a 5.33, and everybody has Liz in the mid-5.00s.

I know our expectations are coloured by Baez' terrible performances and contract as an Oriole, but I'm not ruling out the idea that he might be a decent option as a #5. Hell, his career ERA as a starter is better than PECOTA and CHONE project for Jeremy Guthrie...

Turning Baez, whose contract would otherwise probably have to be eaten, into a serviceable starter is like alchemy. That would be a wonderful turn of events. (I think of it as the Braden Looper whom we already had on hand, and therefore don't have to pay for a 2nd time.) If Kranny thinks this is feasible at least for exploratory purposes, who am I to argue with the concept? I hope it works out.

Archived