Tobacco ban at OPACY

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/bill-advances-tobacco-dip-snuff-chew-ban-orioles-camden-yards-baltimore/46757446

This doesn’t affect me but it’s complete bs. To say fans and players can’t chew tobacco is absurd. 

Smoking is one thing but tobacco doesn’t harm anyone else around you.

The real hilarious part to this is that they want this initiative done for the kids. Meanwhile, their parents can come to the park high as a kite and rip off 10 beers while betting on sports at their seats but heavens forbid we see someone spit out tobacco in a cup.  Who knew that’s where the moral high ground line was drawn?

Orioles and MLB don’t make money off tobacco if they did it wouldn’t be banned at OPACY. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CP0861 said:

I guess I'm getting old.

I've come full circle on stuff like this. I started dipping at 16 and after going back and forth with it for 25+ years, I finally quit for good about a year and a half ago.

I absolutely, positively started dipping because of baseball.

Long story short, it's just not necessary.  It's just not.  People that chew and dip need to spit and there's no good place to spit at a ballpark. And yes, as someone who spit in a plastic bottle for the entire time I dipped, I realize it's possible but then you have bottles of spit that often get spilled (I spilled countless myself). If I take my kids to a game and someone spills their spit bottle on/near them, there's going to be a problem. I've seen that happen. As a lifelong dipper and season ticket holder, I don't want to hear or see someone obnoxiously spitting next to me for 3 hours. I see that ALL the time too.

As far as legal weed and beer, I don't have the perfect answer for that (except gimme some) and I don't necessarily disagree.  But two (or more) wrongs don't make it right either.  Pointing at something else that's bad as justification doesn't lead to getting anywhere.  I love having a couple of Stella's at the game, but at the same time, I'd be okay with no beer at a stadium. But do I want to pay more for my tickets for that? No, not really.

I chewed tobacco for 11 years, quitting in 1988.  I never once spilled my tobacco juice on anyone and I've never had anyone spill their juice on me.  So, I think your reaction is completely overblown.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles and MLB don’t make money off tobacco if they did it wouldn’t be banned at OPACY. 

Well, this is a city issue but the same rule applies. That’s why they won’t ban gambling or alcohol..too much money to be made.

The idea that they want to make this into something about the kids is laughable.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ChangeRoadUnis said:

I chewed tobacco for 11 years, quitting in 1988.  I never once spilled my tobacco juice on anyone and I've never had anyone spill their juice on me.  So, I think your reaction is completely overblown.

I'm not saying spilling alone is reason enough to ban it, it's one of multiple.

Edited by CP0861

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, this is a city issue but the same rule applies. That’s why they won’t ban gambling or alcohol..too much money to be made.

The idea that they want to make this into something about the kids is laughable.

Agreed if they could call it Zyn Park at Camden Yards (hat tip: @emmett16) and collect that revenue for naming rights the children wouldn't matter so much.

I only spit outside or discreetly in a garbage can. If I can’t stomach it, I walk to the restroom and get rid of the juice and chew. Hell, I chew on the plane all the time. What I don’t do is spit in a cup next to a seat mate or make it appearance to anyone around me. I do agree that someone in a public place with a spit cup or spitting everywhere is gross. But if I can keep it out of sight, no one should really care. 
I find walking through clouds of marijuana smoke obnoxious, but evidently that is for medical reasons and I cannot complain or question that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I've worked security and screening before at a stadium. I didn't work every game, and I certainly only worked at the metal detector I was at, not all of them at the same time. 

But I've found many, knives, bunches of containers of pepper spray, and more vape pens then you can imagine. But I only remember finding like three or four cans of chewing tobacco. Not that many people bring them into a stadium.

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/bill-advances-tobacco-dip-snuff-chew-ban-orioles-camden-yards-baltimore/46757446

This doesn’t affect me but it’s complete bs. To say fans and players can’t chew tobacco is absurd. 

Smoking is one thing but tobacco doesn’t harm anyone else around you.

The real hilarious part to this is that they want this initiative done for the kids. Meanwhile, their parents can come to the park high as a kite and rip off 10 beers while betting on sports at their seats but heavens forbid we see someone spit out tobacco in a cup.  Who knew that’s where the moral high ground line was drawn?

Doesn’t affect me either. We can’t keep kids from stealing cars, robbing people, shooting people, etc. but this will somehow deter them from chewing tobacco.

6 hours ago, Carllamy said:

I've worked security and screening before at a stadium. I didn't work every game, and I certainly only worked at the metal detector I was at, not all of them at the same time. 

But I've found many, knives, bunches of containers of pepper spray, and more vape pens then you can imagine. But I only remember finding like three or four cans of chewing tobacco. Not that many people bring them into a stadium.

My brother in law carries his cigarettes and goes outside the gate to smoke and reenters. Are they really going to do pat downs? ….so they don’t prevent you from having the product just using it. 

I don't dip.  Had @NashLumber's experience, something akin to The Sandlot kids on the mixer ride. lol  But I can't imagine, despite any rule, that we still won't smell weed two or three times an inning - which doesn't bother me - or encounter dippers or vapers any more or less than we do now.  What's different today, I think, is that people feel they can do what they want, whenever they want, and don't give a s--t if it bothers anyone around them because they live in a world where they are the center of the universe.

• Upvote 3