Will Bradish pitch for the Orioles this season?

Frobby

Will Bradish pitch for the Orioles this season?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bradish pitch for the Orioles this season?

• No
    • Yes, but not until after the All-Star break
    • Yes, but not until after June 1
    • Yes, and he will return before June 1

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/19/24 at 03:37

23 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Our new ownership group is worth billions upon billions of dollars.  I don't think we need to worry about a few million arbitration dollars anymore.

I don't think any of the fans know exactly what their intentions are with payroll. They wouldn't be the first sports team owners to not go all in with the budget.

I saw Manfred told a reporter his 5-year term 2024-2028 will be it for him, and some of the chatter was his legacy project hope the structure of 32-team expansion is determined by then, even if franchises aren't awarded.

Samuel Basallo is probably going to spend some of his career in a 16 out of 32 Clubs make the playoffs kind of climate.

Pitchers as good as '23 Kyle Bradish, some of the game is not to wear them out by October.     If Bradish can survive 16 or 8 out of the no longer possible 32 starts and his teammates help him out, at least in October we won't be worrying if he's past his innings limit.    We won't be worrying about it for anyone if their teammates don't help them out.

Plus like John Means last summer, it really takes the pressure off Elias at the trade deadline!!

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So you are basing your opinion on a single case study? The journal article provided is about professional pitchers, mostly MLB, and there is a considerable literature available if you wish to search for it. Its up to you.

Sorry .. I just looked at the case study link you cited .. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

The part that jumped out to me was "average of 12 weeks". Woof.

He had his shot sometime before Feb. 15, so that would mean an “average” return date of May 15 or before.  I’d sign for that in blood.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He had his shot sometime before Feb. 15, so that would mean an “average” return date of May 15 or before.  I’d sign for that in blood.  

Yeah. I realized later I goofed and forgot he's already like a month or more since injury.

37 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Ultimately, the course of treatment is entirely up to Bradish.  The Orioles can’t force him to undergo TJ if he doesn’t want to.

Can he hit? Because if he needs TJ and refuses, he's out of baseball. He'll never pitch again outside of a softball league.

On 2/15/2024 at 7:13 PM, Jim'sKid26 said:

The most significant element in this discussion is not available to anyone but Bradish, his physician and the folks in the O's front office who have access to his medical information. What is the degree of injury to his UCL and surrounding tissue? The fact that they are starting a throwing program early after a PRP injections implies a strain that is either grade I or II. PRP is not effective and therefore not used on Grade IV strain/tears. Most Grade III tear/strains require extensive rest and usually end up with operative treatment. 

If he has a grade I or II strain, PRP and a rehab program can deliver good results without surgery. I know there is a lot of doom and gloom on the board today but it may be a bit premature. Here's a quote from a recent journal article:

"Ultrasound-guided UCL PRP injection, a minimally invasive technique, has gained traction due to its potential to facilitate tissue healing and repair. PRP has demonstrated success in returning pitchers to throwing quickly and successfully 73-96% of the time following medium-grade UCL tears or UCL insufficiency. In prior studies, use of PRP to treat partial tears resulted in an 88% success rate in returning athletes to play after an average of 12 weeks."

Ref:

1) Mills FB 4th, Misra AK, Goyeneche N, Hackel JG, Andrews JR, Joyner PW: Return to play after platelet-rich plasma injection for elbow UCL injury: outcomes based on injury severity. Orthop J Sports Med. 2021, 9:2325967121991135. 10.1177/2325967121991135

Case study: 

https://www.cureus.com/articles/213637-from-dugout-to-the-mound-a-tale-of-platelet-rich-performance#!/

In a world of hot takes, reflexive bitterness, and completely uninformed opinions, you've presented us with not only some optimism, but also a relevant and serious medical study directly related to the topic at hand.

Bravo.

• Upvote 1