Agree or Disagree: We MUST add 1 more starting pitcher....

DocJJ

Disagree.  We SHOULD, and it would be very nice if we did, but I don't think we MUST.  We have enough arms that we can get the innings needed.  Plus, we don't really KNOW the extend of the Bradish injury and the real likelihood of him pitching this year versus being shut down for TJ.  I'd assume Elias has a much better and more accurate idea of the health of BOTH Bradish and Means to be able to determine what needs we really have.

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

by trade or FA signing....

I think we must add one.  Injuries happen.  Even if a pitcher is lucky enough to avoid a serious injury, there are always tweaks and minor things that cause starters to miss a start here and there, even things like finger blisters.  Second, beyond Wells and Irwin there aren't any starters with track records. We'd be forced to go with Zimmerman, Povich, McDermott, or Seth Johnson....

The question is incomplete. A starter would have to be a certain talent level in order to be useful, and I question whether anyone is easily available, via trade or FA, who is better than our own 6,7,8 guys.

I think ME is doing the “go big or go home” thing. If he can’t make a clear  “Grass-Fed Angus Beef” upgrade, he’ll avoid the Mystery Meat guys and do nothing.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

I dunno, maybe if “MUST” wasn’t in all caps with such a do or die insinuation I’d be more inclined to agree. I think they really really should add someone else. But to say it’s a must feels a bit like an exaggeration. Solid top 2, and the rest is replaceable fluff but not terrible. Even with a major injury and a nagging one, there are still 5 starters with good major league experience in the rotation. 

Granted, one of those guys go down and we’re really down bad, especially one of the top 2. Maybe that makes it a “MUST”. But Povich, Johnson, and McDermott are interesting at least. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I dunno, maybe if “MUST” wasn’t in all caps with such a do or die insinuation I’d be more inclined to agree. I think they really really should add someone else. But to say it’s a must feels a bit like an exaggeration. Solid top 2, and the rest is replaceable fluff but not terrible. Even with a major injury and a nagging one, there are still 5 starters with good major league experience in the rotation. 

That's about where I'm at.  

I would say no, especially in consideration of salary and prospects.  For me, Lorenzen is not enough of upgrade to Irvin/Wells.  Montgomery/Snell in years 4&5…I would prefer to pay Adley, Gunnar, Holliday (and maybe even make an extension for Burnes) instead.  And thus far, trade possibilities for Cease/Luzardo are too much in terms of prospect capital (though maybe this scenario changes as season unfolds)

To me, this isn't the question.  The question is actually if what's still available out there is better than what we have, or if it's approximately the same, or worse.  

I don't think we need to add a body for the sake of adding a body.  But if it's a clear upgrade over what we have, and that option isn't painful to get... then sure, go ahead and do it. 

This isn't a simple yes or no question. 

1. If we can sign Monty or Snell to a relatively short term contract (i.e., 4 years or fewer) we should consider it. 

2. If we can trade for a viable youngish starter without giving up Mayo or Basallo we should consider it. 

3. If our only option is to sign one of the other remaining FA starters then we should probably just pass because I'm not sure any of them are any better than our internal options. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This isn't a simple yes or no question. 

1. If we can sign Monty or Snell to a relatively short term contract (i.e., 4 years or fewer) we should consider it. 

2. If we can trade for a viable youngish starter without giving up Mayo or Basallo we should consider it. 

3. If our only option is to sign one of the other remaining FA starters then we should probably just pass because I'm not sure any of them are any better than our internal options. 

Regarding #3, I argue that one more injury to a protected starter puts us in the extremely untenable position of having to start Bruce Zimmermann.

We had good depth but we are using almost all of that depth to cover two injuries. A third really could screw us. 

IMO there's no real debate that we are in serious need of another decent SP.